Chapter 10 - Another place to go

"Wait, Rou is a delta species?!!" I said.

We had just found out after meeting Pos the Espeon that Rou was an electric type Rowlet. We were in Rocket's cavern, and we were finally starting to get some answers.

"Yes." Pos said, answering our questions. "He is an electric type Rowlet."

"But shouldn't electric types charge themselves?" Sam asked her. "Don't they provide their own charge, even if they're delta species?"

"Since he's a Rowlet, part of his biology is still grass type. Normally the body compensates for this on it's own, but somewhere there's a disconnect"

"Okay..." Sam said, thoughtful. "What if he got zapped by another Pokémon, like a Manectric or a Minun?"

"If he were to get shocked by another electric type, it would charge him... but it would also hurt him, due to his body being grass type." She said.

"That's kinda dumb." I said, headache starting to subside a little.

"Okay..." Sam said. "So is there any other advice that you can give us? What are we supposed to do now?"

"I recommend that you travel to the Far 'or region." Pos said. "And if you hand me the Elucide pendant, I can bestow my before-mentioned power on it."

"Huh? Oh, sure." Sam said as he handed the stone pendant over to Pos.

Pos placed the pendant on the ground and stared at it intently. She then muttered something incomprehensible, closed her eyes and placed a paw on it. There was a flash of blue light, and the Elucide stone started to glow a faint aqua blue.

"Here you go." Pos said, placing it around my neck. "If you call out to me, I will answer through this stone."

I looked down at the rock. It was now glowing very faintly. "It will light up if I have something to say." Pos continued. "That way, you won't forget that I'm here for you. All of you."

"Now my last words of advice." Pos said, walking back over towards Sam and Rou. "Sam, you need to work on your confidence. If you expect to be able to do the things you want to, you have to have courage that you can get there."

Sam stood up straight. "Yes ma'm."

"And Rou..." Pos said, standing in front of the bird. "Rou, you've got good friends here. Treat them well."

"Alright." Rou said.

"Head to the Far 'or region. Head for the peak of the tallest mountain. There you will find Rebecca. She will tell you where to go from there."

"Alright, thanks!" I said, feeling relieved that we at least got some answers. I was sure I wouldn't get an easy answer about why I'm here from Pos, at least, not right now. I'll have to ask her later.

We gave our goodbyes and headed out of the Cavern. As the graffitied rock wall reappeared back in place, we looked at each other.

"So, how do we get to the Far 'or region?" I asked Sam.

"Well," he said as he pulled out a map from his bag. "The Far 'or region is over here, in the snowy mountain area." His claw was pointing at a mountainous region on what looked to be a well drawn map. I guess they don't have cameras or satellites here. "And we're over here." His claw dragged across the map a little ways. "It will definitely take us a while to walk there."

"How long?" I asked him.

"Probably around a month."

"Maybe could we take a boat?" I said, pointing at a town in the Far 'or region that was close to the ocean.

"Maybe." Sam said. "Let's head to port and see.

——————————-

We made our way to the port, and started searching for a vessel willing to take us to the Far 'or region. The port here was larger, and had many more boats. It was also composed more of concrete and wooden pathways that spread out into the ocean. I let Sam do most of the talking, because I don't know if we're supposed to barter or something in the Pokémon world.

After talking to a few different Pokémon (Pokémons? Mons? I don't know what the plural form is), Sam walked back to us. "It looks like a lot of the crews charge a pretty hefty price for voyage to the Far 'or region.

"I have an idea." Rou said. "Follow me."

Rou lead us towards the far side of the port, where there weren't many Pokémon around and the few remaining ones had just finished packing up their cargo onto the boats. Rou looked at a few of the boats, then hopped aboard one of them.

"Rou!" Sam said. "What are you doing?!"

"Relax! This boat belongs to an old friend of mine... we have a history together!" Rou insisted. "I used to do this all the time!"

"Are you sure...?" Sam said, obviously feeling uneasy. "I'd feel better if we'd let him know first..."

The ship's horn blew.

"Can't!" Rou said as the ship started to move. "No time! Hop on!"

Sam uneasily scrambled aboard the cargo ship. I started racing to catch up with it, but I was too short and I was running out of pier. Sam and Rou dashed to the end of the boat to try and help me up. I leapt up at them, and scraped my back legs against the side as the pulled me up.

As I got onboard, we collapsed, out of breath. Well, now we were committed. "Are you sure this boat is going to the Far 'or region?" Sam asked Rou.

"Of course!" Rou said. "The captain makes this trip about every two weeks! It's always the same route- Albenden, Bergy country, Seaport village, Capkin town, Fav 'oor district in Far 'or! Now let me look for a place for us to wait." He hopped away.

"Well, at least now we're on our way." Sam said.

Something seemed familiar about this ship. Could we have seen it in Capkin town two weeks ago? I sure hope they still didn't think I was feral... if they found us that would be really rotten!

Rou found us a little area between crates to stay while we waited for our arrival. Rou said we would probably get there sometime the next day. We set out our blankets and Rou prepared dinner. As it turns out, he knows a thing or two about food.

After we ate, Rou was nodding off, so he went to sleep first. While it was just Sam and I, Sam quietly confided his feelings to me.

"I'm just not sure about Rou..." he said, fidgeting with his leather bag strap. "I think he's hiding something from us."

"But at least he's on our side." I said. While it was true that I felt the same way as Sam did, I felt that it was more important to keep the team together. "Maybe we just need to get to know him better?"

"Maybe." Sam said. I still had a feeling that he wasn't convinced. "I'm just not really excited if we end up getting caught... I hate water, remember?"

That's right! I had almost forgotten! Water causes Charmanders unbearable pain! If we got thrown overboard... ooh, I can't imagine how that would feel like for Sam. "Let's just trust him, and see where this goes?" I said, trying to stay positive. "Maybe everything will turn out right? It has so far!"

"I guess... I mean, Rou did say he's done this before."

"Yep! So why should we even worry about it? Maybe the captain really is a nice guy!"

"I suppose you have a point.." Sam admitted

I still wasn't entirely convinced, myself. I wanted to trust Rou, but something wasn't right about all of this. Maybe we just needed to get to know him better? I hope I did the right thing, trying to put Sam's mind at ease. If it turns out I'm wrong... Well I guess there's not much I can do about that right now. At least we're starting to get some answers.

Sam yawned, which made me realize just how heavy my own eyelids had gotten. We decided to call it a day and lay out our blankets for the night, hoping for better days to come. Sam and I soon fell asleep, joining Rou in restful ignorance.