Chapter 4 - The Quest Starts

No dreams tonight.

I woke up this morning to see Sam finish packing up his bag for our trip. He had packed two bags, one for each of us. I noticed the one he wasn't wearing looked more like a Fanny pack, but made to be worn like a messenger bag or satchel. It looked kinda goofy, to be honest.

"Good morning Eva!" Sam said to me cheerfully, apparently excited for the day. "How'd you sleep?"

"Ugh." The groan escaped my mouth. "I hate mornings." I groggily got up out of my blankets and stretched. "Why do we gotta get up again?"

"The Relick stone!" Sam exclaimed. "And Team Rockets tunnel! You saw it in the book, remember?"

"Oh yeah..." I said back, vaguely remembering the library book as I looked around, eyes half open. "Where is it anyway?"

"I put the book in my bag," Sam said, patting his leather messaged bag like it was safe and sound. "I thought we might need it on the trip."

"Don't we have to return it?"

"Only when we're done! What, did you think that many Pokémon want to read books in this town? I'm like, one of the only ones who read here!"

"Yeah, kinda. I mean, what else do you do for fun?"

"Well, some Pokémon like to train and fight with others... and some do other things, like sell merchandise! I on the other hand, am a great explorer!" He stood up, proudly.

"But you've never really gone out to explore much, haven't you?"

"W-what do you mean?"

"You packed your bag too full."

I pointed over to his over-stuffed bag. The bottom of it was torn, spilling books and items all over the ground underneath it.

"Ack!" He said, dropping the bag and picking up the books. "Alright alright, you got me. I'm not an explorer... yet. I've always dreamed of going out and discovering the unknown and the impossible... I'm just a bit of a scaredy-cat..."

"That's all right," I said, patting him on the back. "I'll be here to help!"

"Really? You'll stick with me?"

"Of course."

"Thanks."

"Now, let's repack some stuff."

We repacked the bags with food, helpful items, the old book, and a few extra items. The small strap one ended up being for me, and Sam pulled out a new satchel bag for himself. Pretty soon, we were on the way out of the house.

Once we left the house and Sam was going to block the door, I remembered the chest from the far room. "Oh wait! I forgot something!" I said, thinking to just run in for a quick second to see what was inside the chest.

"Oh yeah!" Sam said. "Me too!"

We both went back inside. Sam was headed over to the far room. (Oh crap!) I thought to myself. (If he's going in there, maybe he's going to take it out of the chest!)

I watched Sam as he went over behind the curtain. I could see him through the curtain, opening the chest and putting something into his bag, but his body was in the way, so I couldn't see what it was. I quickly grabbed the Agility-up scarf and made my way outside.

Once Sam made it out and covered the entrance, we started heading to the main road.

"What'd you forget?" I asked Sam, quietly wondering what was so secret of his to not ward a story from this talkative salamander.