Chapter 20 - Where to next?

Rebecca's home reminded me a lot of a grandmother's household for some reason, although if it was because of her voice or another thing, I couldn't put my finger on it. The design of the rooms and the quality of the furniture did nothing to help the feeling either. She even sat in a seat that looked a whole lot like a rocking chair! We had decided to stay there for a few days, while we figured out what we needed to do next.

"Just hold still for another minute..." Rebecca said to me, a canvas partially covering my view of her. She was painting a picture of Sam, Rou, Laura, and I. We were taking turns standing in frame so that she could paint us individually together.

"How much longer?" I asked, my joints feeling stiff.

"Almost done...... there! Now you can move."

I got off the crate we were using as a pedestal, and walked around to see what she had done on the canvas. She had made a charcoal sketch of me, along with Laura and Rou.

"I thought you were painting us?" I asked her.

"I am," she said. "I just need to start with a sketch first. I can paint in the little details after I get the main portion done."

"Oh." I replied, feeling a bit underwhelmed.

"Now it's Sam's turn. Could you go get him for me?"

"Sure." I went to retrieve my buddy Sam from the dining room. He was learning how to play the card game "Speed" from Laura, and he had just lost another round.

"Agh! How are you so fast?!!" He exasperated.

"I've had lots of practice." She said, smiling. "Just be glad we aren't betting!"

"Sam, your turn." I interrupted.

"Alright." He said, leaving the table and walking into the other room.

"Mind if I play?" I said, sitting in Sam's seat.

"I was actually thinking of starting my morning meditation." Laura said with an awkward smile and a paw behind her head. "It helps to keep a level head."

"Alright." I replied.

Rou came over and plopped himself into another seat as Laura left to go outside. I watched through the window as she sat in the snow in a cross-legged position. Maybe should I try meditation at some point?

I looked back at Rou to find him staring down at the wooden table, as if he was focused on something.

"Whatcha thinking about?" I asked him. He looked up at me.

"I'm just thinking about Sam I guess... I mean, it was so... unselfish for him to rescue us. Well for you it makes sense, but for me... how can someone be like that?"

"There are just some people out there who are like that I guess." I replied. "Back in my world, there was this guy named Mister Rogers. He was so kind and personal with other people, it was hard not to like him!"

I paused. "Sam is kind of like that. He is the kind of person we all want to be a little more like. He has his challenges, sure, but being forgiving and doing kind things is what life's all about."

"Like Mister Rogers?" Rou asked.

"Like Mister Rogers." I replied. "I could tell you about him if you want?"

"Okay!"

I then proceeded to tell Rou everything I could remember about Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

"The show would start with a peaceful view of the town, and then focus on his house." I explained. "He would then walk in the door and take his jacket and shoes off, all while singing about how wonderful the day was and how happy he was for you to be his neighbor.