Chapter 8 - Trapped

I was surprised when I saw Capkin town. It... well, it was really more like a city to be honest. It was HUGE! There were what looked like skyscrapers and streets... the whole shabang! The only major difference I could tell immediately was the colors weren't all grey and bland. Most of the buildings were made of rocks and wood, and a lot of them had bricks and concrete of various colors.

I had only been to a big city once back home. It was on a field trip to a museum or something. I was just happy to get out of the classroom to be honest! It was cool for sure, but I didn't really care that much. Actually, I never realized how much I didn't care for things back home until now. Next time I go to a city on earth, I'll pay more attention.

It was almost noon, and as we went to enter Capkin town, Sam turned to me.

"Eva, I think we should kind of sort out your fur a bit before we go in..." he said, eying my fur coat. "I don't want everyone to immediately see a feral and think bad about us..."

"Yeah, that makes sense." I said. He did have a point there, I'm sure I looked like a feral to the average Pokémon, I never really learned to properly groom this body! "But how do we do that?" I asked.

"I have an idea. You wait here, I'll be back soon!" He said before he jogged into the city.

I sat there and watched the city move. There were dog Pokémon like Growlithe, Houndoom, Lycanroc... and others like mice- Pikachu, Dedenne, and Marill, I think. There were a lot of Pokémon, and I could only point out a few because Sam had brought a book with Pokémon pictures in it. I since realized that I could not read in whatever Pokémon language they use, but Sam was helping me to recognize the different Pokémon in it. There were just SO MANY!

After waiting a while, Sam returned with something in his claws. He came over to me and presented me with a brush. "I watched some Pokémon at a grooming salon groom their fur and then bought a brush there." He said. "Now I can show you how they were doing it."

Sam showed me how they brushed their fur. They straightened it all out and mostly brushed it from front to back. I realized how similar this was to brushing my human hair, and I soon had it down quick. Sam was surprised that humans had fur on the tops of their heads, and I told him I would explain it more later.

After getting that all sorted out, we put the brush away and Sam warned me to not talk much so that I could blend in. I told him "that's what I do anyways, but sure." And we went in.

The city was kinda amazing. Everywhere I looked, there were Pokémon big and small, selling things, buying things, window shopping... and then there were salons, jewelry stores, markets full of produce... and some of the buildings were really tall. This got me thinking about how big I was now compared to when I was human. Maybe this was all normal size to me then? No, it couldn't be... I couldn't really tell to be honest.

Sam said that we should see about stocking up on supplies and getting a place to stay for the night. That way, we could be all ready to go to Rocket's cavern tomorrow or whatever it was called. Sam was slightly nervous about it though.

"Why are you so nervous?" I asked Sam.

"Well," he started sheepishly, looking down at the small money pouch he held in his hand. "We've only got about 126 poke left... that brush was about 25 poke, and I don't know how much the inns around here would cost, and I'm just hoping that we don't have to put down a deposit."

"Yeah..." I said, not knowing how money works here but understanding the trouble. "Maybe let's just buy what we'll need for sure, then find somewhere cheap?"

"Yeah."

We went to the marketplace to look for anything on sale. They had a ton of apples, and they were priced by size. We picked up a few apples for 12 poke. We also picked up a few oran and pecha berries too. We decided that was enough, and with 107 poke left, we started heading out to look for a hotel or a place to stay for the night. It was still bright out, probably around 3 or 4 in the afternoon I would guess, so we took our time.