Chapter 17 - Rescue

Relax...

As I began my daily meditation, I closed my eyes and tuned out my thoughts. I focused on the sensations. The warmth of my cabin, the pressure of my fur against the wooden floor, the faint ticking of the clock.

Brrrriiiiiiiing!!! Brrrriiiiiiiing!!! Brrrriiiiiiiing!!!

I was awoken out of my meditation by a loud bell ringing. It was the electric post notifying me that I was being sent a message. I got up and stopped the noise, so I could receive the message and have peace from the annoying sound.

I didn't expect to ever get mail up here. Why would I? I was alone, up on a mountain, away from everyone. Yes, I like to help people, but too much helping has forced me to reside up here with the Absol, helping those who get stuck on the mountain.

It was a pretty bland and boring job, but I liked its simplicity. I could use much of the time to focus on training my moves and developing my aura. Might as well, right?

The message was sent through the old electric post, good thing they were still able to get it sent up here. There had been a blizzard last night, and a fierce one at that. The clicking clock-like receiver typed out the message: "—begin-message—-Rescue—Request—-three—Pokémon—stuck—in—snow—-original—path—-please-rescue—-important—-end—of—message—"

Three Pokémon? Way up here?! Probably a few mons that were stubborn enough to believe that the old ninetales atop the mountain could grant wishes or something. She may be old but that was just plain folklore. I got on my hat, my gloves, and the rest of my gear then headed out. Someone needed to help them.

———————-

After a while of hiking, I stopped for a breath. How could three Pokémon make it up this far on the old trail and not know the dangers? Most Pokémon only hike the old trail once they are acquainted with the area, and are prepared for the mystery dungeons, if they hike it at all. It was probably some youngsters who are just out of their element and don't know what they're doing.

I got up to the old trail, and started heading to the top. If they got caught in the snow higher up the mountain, well, it'd be better to check that way first. My major worry was that they got caught in the blizzard and lost the path. It was for that reason that I kept an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Eventually after searching for an hour, I decided to focus more with my aura. They might've gotten buried in the snow, or stuck in a cave. I closed my eyes and focused. All around me, the frozen climate. It was perfect for training, as there was far less 'noise' from living things.

I could sense a faint trace of movement from my left, so I headed that way. I soon realized that there was one strong aura, a weaker one, and then one that was really weak. This must be them, but if so, I needed to find them fast. It was possible that some of them might not make it if I didn't find them soon.

I followed the trace for it to end at a clearing. I opened my eyes again. Where were they? I looked around to find something sticking out of the snow. A dead tree? Nothing new. I was about to move on when I noticed something else with it... a green scarf.

Why would they leave a scarf here? Did they get buried in the snow? I started digging around the tree. I started feeling the aura stronger! I closed my eyes and focused while I dug, until I eventually found them.

A Charmander, an Eevee, and a Rowlet. All unconscious in a small gap in the snow.

——————————-

I feel... nice. Warm and cozy. Like I'm in a toasty car during a cold winter drive. Keeping warm, despite the weather outside.

So nice and cozy... I could stay here forever... except my tail feels sore and my leg hurts a bit.