Chapter 18 - Group Inventory

Laura's cabin was quaint, it was made of wooden logs, and had a few rooms. Most of the rooms had worn-out beds in them, probably for those who are stuck on the mountain.  Sam and I put our stuff inside the first room and then decided to look around.

My leg was still hurting, but I could limp fairly well around the cabin. The trick was to not put too much pressure on it. Laura had also put some sort of medicine on it and bandaged it up. She said it would feel better in a few days.

Sam and I explored the cabin. Like I said, it was pretty small and old fashioned, with wooden floorboards and old furniture. There were glass panes, rugs, you name it! I was just surprised that I could actually read the names of the books on the bookshelf now!

There wasn't much else to look at, so I hobbled back over to Laura to ask what kind of things she does and to check on Rou.

"I mostly read books and meditate. Sometimes I go outside to practice my moves also." She said.

"Right... what do you read?" I asked reluctantly. I had never been a big reader, but I didn't want to go outside and practice moves with my leg, and I wasn't sure about meditation.

"Really anything. There's a lot of books over on the bookshelf, in the other room" she said, gesturing over to the doorway of the room. "and I've pretty much read them all."

Rou was still resting, so I hobbled back to the other room and looked at the bookshelf. History books, psychology books, books about sports, fantasy, art... you name it. It was all really boring, so I eventually found some paper and decided to teach Sam some of those paper and pencil games I probably learned in middle school. He really likes Tic-tac-toe.

Eventually we had some dinner (some sort of delicious stew), and went to bed. Rou woke up the next morning, so we told him what had happened, got all packed up and ready to go, and started back up onto the trail.

Before we left, Laura also made sure we were well-equipped with berries and more snow gear. She had some snow hats to keep our heads warm, and also made sure we knew the dangers of frostbite and things. Some of it actually sounded familiar to me. She also made sure we knew how to pace ourselves so we wouldn't get too worn out on the way to the top. I get the feeling she tells this to all the Pokémon that get lost.

We started hiking again and this time, Laura was in the lead. She brought us up another path and we only had to camp once. Sam asked her if there was another rescue request, who would get it, and she said that she lived with many Absol, and they would take care of it. I still didn't know what Absol looked like, but I presumed it was the kind of Pokémon in the cabin's pictures- white, dog-like Pokémon who had what looked like a metallic scythe coming off the side of their heads, curving upwards. Not as scary as it sounds though. You'd have to see them.

Anyway, Laura led the way up the mountain, and we hiked for the rest of the day. We then stopped a little ways down from the peak for the night. We would definitely get there tomorrow, before noon even!

"Hey Eva?" Rou asked me while I was unpacking my sleeping bag. "Could I talk with you?"

I looked over at Sam and Laura, talking and making dinner. "Uhh, sure?"

Rou looked back at me. "I don't want Sam to hear."

I finished rolling out my bag and then we went over to a snow-covered tree log and sat down (there were way more trees this high up). "What's up?" I asked.

"It's just, I don't understand why Sam saved me. I mean, I know you guys are friends, but Sam doesn't like me, right?"

This was harder to talk about than I thought. "Rou, the thing with Sam is that he wants to be friends with everyone. Why else would he do what he did if he didn't think you two could be friends?"