Chapter 26

Sadly, a few days later their family vacation came to an end. As much as all three of them wanted to stay in their secluded little world forever, they knew they had to head back home. Back to reality.

Rachel and Brian still had a day off once they returned home and were hanging around while Kassi was in school. It was one of those days where they didn't wanna do anything. No shopping, no errands, no going out, just relaxing at the house, and enjoying the peaceful quiet. Much like the two of them enjoyed while in Florida.

Rachel was laying on the bed, propped up on the headboard doing some stuff on her laptop. Brian was laying horizontal to her with his head resting gently against her thigh and a book in his hands. The three cats were each scattered around the bed sleeping contently. Meanwhile Brian's playlist played quietly in the background filling the empty space with the soft tunes.

Once she was done what she was working on, Rachel closed her computer and set it aside on the bedside table. She peered down at Brian who was still entranced in his book, laying against her. Reaching down she let her fingers run through his hair, gently pushing away the stray strands that fell on his forehead. A small smile graced his lips as he continued to meticulously read over the words in front of him. Rachel then grabbed her phone that laid next to her and scrolled mindlessly through social media while her fingers continued to get lost in his dark brown locks.

After a few minutes of her soothing movements and the low hum of the music, Brian could feel his eyelids becoming heavy. Words on the pages began to blur and jumble together as dreariness started to take over his body and mind. He folded down the corner of the page to mark his spot for future reference and tossed it aside. He shifted his position and climbed up the bed, ducking under Rachel's arm and laying his head on her chest. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders, rubbing her palm up and down his back.

Her eyes remained locked on her phone until Brian's hand reached up, snagging the phone from her grasp and tossing it aside. He then gripped her wrist and pulled it towards himself encouraging her to wrap both arms around him. Rachel smiled to herself when she realized what he wanted and shuffled a little to get more comfortable before coiling both arms around him, holding him tight against her body.

"Much better." He smirked, snuggling in closer to her and closing his eyes.

"You're so clingy." She teased through a laugh as she recalled some of the first memories of their relationship when they'd lay like this for an entire weekend.

"Yes I am. Deal with it." Brian teased as he pressed his nose against her stomach and playfully blew a raspberry against her shirt.

Rachel simply giggled in response and smacked his arm playfully. Once their laughter had calmed down they both quieted and enjoyed the presence of each other.

After a loving kiss to his forehead, Rachel closed her own eyes. Both of them soon drifted off into an early afternoon nap, wrapped up in each other's embrace.

****

"Holy shit!"

Is what Rachel woke up to about an hour later. Brian was no longer with her on the bed and based on the shouting that just came from the bathroom she guessed he was in there. She grudgingly pulled herself from the comfort of the mattress and shuffled to the adjoining bathroom.

"What are you yelling about in here?" Rachel asked as she opened the door. Her eyes landed on Brian who was kneeling on the bathroom counter. "What the hell are you doing?" She confused.

"There's a huge fucking spider right there!" He exclaimed pointing towards the ground.

Rachel's eyes followed the direction of his finger and focused on the big black spider that was on the tile floor.