Chapter 8

A week later Brian and Kassi were hanging around the house while Rachel was stuck working late. At first Brian was unsure of watching Kas by himself, having no previous experience with kids. But within just a few minutes he had gotten the hang of it mainly because Kassi was the absolute perfect kid.

"Who wants ice cream?" Brian asked as he stood from the couch where they were watching tv.

"I do! I do!" Kassi shouted.

Brian laughed and leaned over to pick her up, carrying her into the kitchen where he sat her down on the counter. He grabbed the container of ice cream from the freezer along with a can of whipped cream setting it down and finding two bowls and two spoons.

"You want whipped cream?" He asked looking over at her.

"Yes." She nodded her head from where she sat beside him.

Brian lifted the whipped cream can and held it over he bowl. As he sprayed some onto her ice cream something weird starting happening.

It was sort of blurry but he could suddenly remember himself and Rachel standing in the kitchen.

They were making ice cream sundaes when Brian wiped some whipped cream on Rachel's face. She did it right back and it quickly escalated to a messy fight of the two of them spraying whipped cream at each other and laughing uncontrollably. Then he remembered licking it off her nose, then her cheek, and then her neck. Soon enough the two of them were full on making out, in the middle of the kitchen, covered in whipped cream. It was still pretty hazy but he could picture himself lifting Rachel up and wrapping her legs around his waist as he carried her to the bedroom, where you could guess what happened next.

"Are you ok daddy?" Kassi asked noticing his mind was elsewhere.

Brian shook himself from his haze and cleared his throat trying to bring himself back to the present.

"Yeah, sorry. Here you go baby." He said handing her the bowl.

He made his own bowl and leaned back against the counter next to where Kassi was sitting, smiling to himself. This was his first actual memory of Rachel since the accident. Although he kept it to himself. He didn't wanna give anybody's hopes up.

Him and Kassi continued to sit at the counter enjoying their ice cream while Brian laughed seeing the mess his little girl was making. He grabbed a napkin and wiped her face when he heard his phone start to ring.

"Hey Rach." He answered seeing her caller ID.

"Hey. Look I'm really sorry, but it seems like I'm gonna be stuck here for a few more hours." Rachel sighed.

"Don't sweat it, it's all good. We're doin' fine over here." He reassured her.

"You don't mind putting her to bed?" Rachel asked feeling pretty bad she was putting all of this in him.

"Not at all. She is my daughter." He laughed.

"I know, I just feel bad putting all of this on you tonight." She explained.

Brian couldn't help but smile knowing how much she worried about him. It was nice to have someone care like that.

"I promise you it's fine. Don't worry about it." He said again.

"Is that mommy?" He heard Kassi ask next to him.

"Yeah. You wanna say goodnight?" He asked her, receiving a nod in return.

He handed Kassi the phone and watched her smile as she talked to her mom.

"Be good for daddy please. I love you." He heard Rachel say.