Chapter 4: My change. (Part 1)

Scratch that previous statement... it would turn out someone did notice. Taylor sat next to me as I drove the carriage down the road. After failing to scare me yet again she decided to change tactics and look at me with a knowing smirk,

"The Hero certainly can pull a gaze can't she?"

I kept my eyes on the road but couldn't help feel my muscles twitch, "What are you talking about?"

"Oh don't play coy," Taylor poked me. "If she smiled at me like that even I would blush."

"D-don't you have something better to do?" I asked desperately hoping she would leave me alone.

"The others are just talking about nonsense. Demons this, Empire that, save the Kingdom, blah blah blah. Unlike the two of us, they actually want to be here, right?"

I laughed dryly, "Well I can't say I volunteered for this."

"You can count yourself lucky that you don't have one of these," she pointed to her neck and the slave collar let out an ominous glow. "Still the Hero is one who 'owns' me. It is fun to see her squirm when I mention it."

There was a lull between us as I thought whether or not I should ask what had been on my mind. Taylor was more than fine to just relax in the seat beside me and enjoy the fresh breeze. It had been a few hours since we left and I knew I had many more hours to go. If I wanted to earn their trust the first step was to get to know them.

"Umm Taylor?"

"Yes?" she replied cheerfully.

"How exactly did you get caught?" the question left my lips awkwardly and in return I received a blank stare. I quickly continued, "I mean, you're a Master thief. Even where I live we know of you. I heard about how the Hero caught you but not much else. Of course you don't have to say anything, I was just curious...." My face was beginning to heat up.

"You know," Taylor paused and smiled, "you can be kind of cute as well."

"...." I really didn't know how to reply to that one. Thankfully I didn't have to as Taylor leaned back.

"I was doing as I always did, stealing stuff, making a getaway, enjoying it all." Her smile became oddly serene. "Have you ever stole anything Rain?"

"Can't say I have." It wasn't that I couldn't see why people did it, I just thankfully never had a need to.

"I started when I was a kid. In the slums of the Empire it was everyone for themselves and honestly I thrived there. No one could catch me, and when I got older and bolder, even the city guard couldn't touch me." She laughed, "I didn't even need the money. I was in it for the thrill."

"Are you sure you should be telling me this?" I couldn't help ask as it was starting to become personal.

"It doesn't make a difference does it? We'll be stuck together for a while after all."

"I guess it doesn't," my lips curled up slightly.

"Anyway, I was in the Kingdom and thought I'd try my hand at stealing some royal goodies. It was all going great, well that was until I escaped into the Hero's garden. Low and behold my eyes were taken from me as I saw her standing while bathed in the moonlight. Just like you were before, I was stunned at her beauty. She was so pure." Taylor suddenly laughed causing me to jolt. "Of course that was before the guards screamed 'thief' and then pow! She was in front of me and I couldn't escape. Girl's fast, not as fast as me I'd say but damn can she hone in on you.