Chapter 17: Our Demons. (Part 1)

Chapter 16: Our Demons.

I looked at the scratchy map of the demon territory. Vague. That was the only way I could describe it. Ronalt and I who were in charge of planning the journey could only shake our heads. For one Kerchest was clearly marked by hand and after the map was drawn. The roads between here and the next major town were pretty much non-existent. After passing the border it was dubious if we'd get much further.

"My apologies that the map is quite bare," Servius' father, Philius, said. "It is the best that we have. The road however is clearly signed and reaching the Grand River should not be too hard. Follow that and you will reach Tona Port."

"And then we board a boat all the way to about here?" I asked, pointing to the map. It was a larger port city named Citlia closer to the western coast but still on the river.

"Yes, from there you can reach Sanctuary where the Demon Lord resides much easier than walking from here." It was a path that took us further West and forced us to head back East but after some discussion it would be much safer and in the end faster. Only an experienced guide could lead us there directly and no one here could do that. "When you reach Sanctuary you'll be fighting with the Lord won't you?"

I couldn't answer that question. Ronalt was about to nod but Lara cut in.

"We'll talk with him as much as we can," she said determined. "If we can avoid a fight and settle this peacefully we'll do it." Her white haired flowed in the soft breeze. In addition to her regular eye catching features she had thin horns coming out from behind her ears similar to Taylors.

"Well you heard the girl," I smiled wryly at her optimism. There was little doubt in my mind that things would ever go that well.

"I'll at least know you tried," Philius nodded. "Our village is always open to you. It is a shame you are leaving so soon though."

"It's better that way," Ronalt replied stiffly. It was early morning and the day after we had left Axel. The villagers had been surprised at our sudden arrival but after talking with them, Servius' father agreed to show us the way. Servius himself wanted to go as well but I sternly talked him out of it. He was an okay hunter but other than that he was useless in a combat situation. More importantly, if he died I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

"Before you leave Gola has made you all a gift," Philius waved over the four armed man who carried a large basket.

Inside was an assortment of clothing in the village's style. Gola smiled, "The sizes may not be quite right but I hope they come in handy."

Ronalt took the basket, "Thank you Gola. It will do us well if our current attire stands out too much." It would seriously help. Aside from my current butler look, I had packed clothing from home. Lara, Taylor and Ronalt were fine but Earnest, Marley and Ardent all wore very specific clothing. Earnest had his loose gowns originating from his homeland, Marley wore a clergy's dress and Ardent was clearly of the magical sort with his robe. Not a good place to start blending in.

"Also don't forget, to the horned tribe their horns are their pride. Make sure to keep them clean at all times. Those with broken horns are usually the excommunicated so take care."

"The information is appreciated," Ronalt shook the man's hand one last time. Although it was a small gesture the simple fact that the two could see each other with mutual respect simmered a hope in my chest

I looked into the sky. From what we were told it would take three full days to reach Tona Port. The biggest issue was where we could camp safely. Even in the depths of the demon territory the denizens of night were still a threat. Servius had marked several places on the map, but once we reached Citlia city we'd have to ask for new information. Being on the boat till then we should be fine. Though being my first time on a boat I wasn't sure how I'd handle it.