Chapter 23: My Fate (Part Finale)

No matter how many times. That's what I said at the start. I wanted revenge for what they did to us, to Lara, to Taylor.... I died and died and died and died. So many times I lost count after the first few seconds. Gradually I got used to her speed and technique only for her to change completely. Unlike the Demon Lord there was no set path I could follow, each movement was different, reacting on the minute differences between each death. When I tried to use magic she beat me to it. When I tried to talk my words fell on deaf ears.

Memories flooded my mind as we fought for what seemed like an eternity. As much as I loved her, death after death paved a frustrated hate into my heart. I remembered now. When I was Jane, I hated her. As kids I couldn't understand why. The adults thought it was because I liked her, but truly it wasn't like that. Then it changed. No matter how mean I was to her, she took it with a smile and overtime she became my best friend. Then when we reached puberty I hated her again. That was when my memories returned the first time, though that hate was quickly squashed by my life as Jane.

She killed me again as I failed to push her away. My mind couldn't rest. The moment I came back I'd die if I didn't react. The cold steel of her blade had probably killed me in every conceivable way. If it wasn't her sword, it was her magic, at times her bare hands. I wasn't strong enough. Though even when I was, I couldn't match her. This wasn't the first time I had been trapped with her like this. That past memory of her cold eyes looking into mine as her sword impaled my chest. Back in Kerchest when I first saw it I had been so confused, now it was clear as day as the same scene was repeatedly forced right before my eyes.

Oh how I hated her. She defeated me again and again and despite all my efforts I couldn't stand against her. Even when I somehow made it out alive I swore to find and kill her one day. The instrument of my destruction summoned from another world to kill me, my best friend who I cared for so much. Ironic how my life played out in the end. The twists and turns that didn't make sense all on the whims of a higher being. I had to wonder if she found this entertaining.

My feelings as Rain were beginning to muddle away. Determination turned to desperation which in the end became a thirst for it all just to end. I could barely remain conscious. How many thousands, if not millions, of times had she killed me. I couldn't even feel the pain anymore as my soul began to crumble. Open, close, open close. I lacked the will to move against her. Dying again and again, with barely a sigh in between. How hollow I must have looked and yet the once caring girl couldn't give a damn.

"Lara...," I couldn't even speak her name anymore. The syllables stretched through my deaths. "No-more. Please-stop." I had enough. Why couldn't I just die? Was I really cursed to end this way again and again for all eternity? When would the very threads that bound me begin to unravel? This world was truly being sent to hell.