Chapter 10: My Nightmare (Part 1)

I opened my eyes to see the midday sun shine through the window. My body was sprawled out on the bed comfortably. I had over slept. After last night I guess I needed it. Dinner had been an effort to get ready in time and afterwards I ended up not only teaching Taylor to cook but also Lara. To say the least their abilities were similar. Count in I was still recovering from my drinking, the result was me now.

A loud knock resounded through the door, "Rain may I have a word?" It was Ardent and considering what day it was I knew what he wanted.

I opened the door not bothering to clean myself up, "Good mor- afternoon."

He raised his brow, "You look well rested."

"Thank you," I yawned.

"I was wondering if you could join me on an excursion today. It won't take too long and we'll be back by tonight." His eyes were shining, "You see I heard of an interesting oasis nearby that might just-."

I rose my hand cutting him off. If he got started on this it could take a long time before he stopped. "Sorry Ardent not today. I have some things planned."

"Oh... umm... that's okay," his expression turned downcast and suddenly I felt I was looking at a dejected puppy.

"No well today isn't possible but tomorrow I could probably make some time." It was a lie. If everything went as I thought it would, as I knew it would, then we wouldn't have the time.

"Really? Then we shall!" he smiled cheerfully. "You see I heard tale of an oasis that...," and on he went as I nodded my head listening to his vivid and excited explanation. Still, it was nicer to see him like this than the serious Ardent I saw during the invasion.

By the time he left my stomach was grumbling for food. I got changed and headed downstairs. Luckily the person I wanted to talk to was in the dining room. I approached him immediately.

"Ronalt good afternoon. May I sit here?"

"Of course Rain," he gestured to the seat.

I got straight to the point, "Have you heard anything from the fortress commander?"

"Nothing substantial. If anything he told me that there has been a lack of sightings within the border. Perhaps it is as you said and the demons are pulling back to establish a new defence line."

I hid my frown, "I see...." That definitely wasn't the case.

As I ate lunch with Ronalt I thought about the situation seriously. The border forest was a quarter hour ride away from Greytree at a brisk pace. To the North East was another smaller forest that extended away from the border but aside from that Greytree was surrounded by plains and some small hills. Visibility would be clear. If what Ronalt had spoken of was true and the scouts had seen nothing of interest, it was no wonder why the commander was calm. Even if they were blindsided and the demons rushed from the border forest with an army it would take at least ten or so minutes for them to reach Greytree. For a trained fortress town that was plenty of time to sound the alarm and close the gates but there had been almost no sign of a siege when Ardent, Earnest and I came to the town. Looking back on it further I hadn't seen any form of mount in the demon army, no birds, horses or whatever else they used. With the amount of soldiers they had marching would have taken far longer which just made it more confusing as to how Greytree was overwhelmed. They may have used a new weapon but I didn't see any sign of it. If they had used magic on the scale needed to transport them Ardent would have sensed it. It was a mystery.