Chapter 23: My Fate (Part 1)

Chapter 23: My Fate

"Very nicely done," Earnest complimented me as the town children watched with wide eyes. "Though I feel you're still holding back."

"I'm really not," I huffed tiredly. Although my skills with the sword had risen dramatically after my fight with the Demon Lord, most of it was due to me being able to predict his movements. For better or worse Earnest wasn't trying to kill me.

"Get him Rain!" one of the children screamed.

"You can do it!" they all began to cheer.

"Kick his teeth in!" a distinctly adult voice joined them. One of my mother's, Lane, stood along with them. Didn't she have work to do? For a person who was so against me learning swordsmanship she certainly had taken a keen interest these past few days.

"Here I go," Earnest leaped towards me releasing a flurry of quick strikes and stabs. My eyes strained trying to follow their paths, barely allowing my body to react in time to dodge or parry them.

I charged my mana and skirted to the side as for a moment Earnest lost track of me. From experience I knew it wouldn't last long and I immediately swung. My sword came close but was deflected at the last moment causing a jarring sensation to spread through my arm. With a powerful flick he disarmed me. A smug smile of success came over his face.

"Not yet!" I didn't pull back and instead drew two daggers from my waist. Earnest stepped back calmly only for me to throw the first one. His sword knocked it aside as I let the mana run through my body, although it was painful I had to take this seriously. I crouched down and launched forward striking at his legs. Just in time he stepped to the side. This time however I wasn't just charging mana for no purpose. My free hand pointed towards him, drawn on my palm was a complicated circuit. It flashed and burnt into my skin as a burst of force expelled itself. Earnest caught off guard tumbled away.

He flipped himself back up with a powerful grin, "That's much better!"

"I'm out!" I put up my hand to stop him before he charged again. Anymore and my heart world give way and I'd cough out blood. Couldn't let the kids see that.

Earnest sighed, "Your constitution is truly a shame. If you were like Ardent or even at least Taylor or I, you'd be incredible."

"I'm struggling as much as it is so give me a break," I sat on the spot.

Six days had passed since we had arrived back in Axel. Earnest had taken it to be his mission to keep me training every day. As harsh as it could be, being a bit stronger didn't hurt anyone and I could protect Axel better if needed. Other than that I did as I usually did and helped throughout the town. Though when we arrived a huge party was thrown and when Taylor declared herself my girlfriend there was an uproar. Thankfully it had died down. Too many people had asked about them getting grandkids in the future. Even Taylor was alarmed at the prospect of us having children, thankfully we both still wanted to take our time. Most of all it was peaceful and something I had missed, though really it hadn't been all that long since I left home.

Taylor reached down and handed me a towel and potion to get my strength back, "You really are getting better. Though I wish you wouldn't use magic so much."

I laughed, "If I don't I wouldn't be able to keep up at all."

She sat down next to me as we watched Earnest play with the children. He was surprisingly good with them. Her head rested on my shoulder.