Chapter 22: Our change of pace. (Part 2)

The first thought I had was that it was exceedingly comfortable, more so than I had been in a long time. As I opened my eyes, the sight of a lavishly furnished room spread out before me. The finest sheets and bedding that could be obtained in the Kingdom gently nestled around me. Like the Goddess had assured me, it looked like I was still alive.

I stirred my body to a sitting position. The early morning sun poured in from a window. Outside was a full view of the castle gardens. Adorned with beautiful flowers, trees and tasteful statues, it was a warming sight.

"Good morning Rain." The feminine and refined voice came from beside me.

I turned to it slowly and immediately jumped back, "Y-your Highness!? Ah- It is a pleasure to meet you once more my Queen." I bowed my head awkwardly. Of things I didn't expect to see in the morning, this was high in the list.

"No need to be so polite Rain. You have performed your duties more than admirably and ensured the success of the Hero. More so without the loss of life. You have my thanks."

"That- It was a long journey and without the others we would have failed. I do not deserve your thanks alone."

"True and I have spoken with them, however I wanted to speak with you alone."

I faced her curiously, "Is something the matter your highness?"

She laughed and then turned her eyes down guiltily, "I put you through a lot of pain. I'm sorry."

"It was necessary." I meant that. If I had never been selected to go, I would have never met Lara, the reason I was here, or Taylor the person I was falling in love with.

"If Mattias and the others of Axel knew who I was they'd never forgive me."

I didn't expect them to be mentioned, especially Mattias by name, "Um excuse me?"

"Perhaps this will clear your mind," she waved her hand over her face. Although late in her years the Queen still held plenty of beauty and now those features dimmed down and wrinkles weathered her skin. Her eyes changed from green to brown as did her hair from chestnut to black. It was a face and appearance I knew very well. My Aunt Nera from the Capital.

"Aunt Nera?" I mumbled. "What? How?"

"Because to me Axel is a special place," she smiled. "It was where I could take a break and be with people who didn't see me as the Queen. It was where I could see you. It is also why I chose you.... I looked through hundreds of potential attendants but with each I knew you were their better. I really did struggle with the decision... however I had to choose the best. I am sorry what I put you through and it gladdens me to no end that you returned safely with everyone."

"I see...," it was all I could say. My mind flicked back to the memories of our beginning. I always thought it was odd but now it made sense. With a painful surge I remembered when I had lost myself in rage, when I had tried to kill Ronalt and was intent to kill them all. The Queen's expression when I finally noticed her, she hadn't been looking at Ronalt but me. More than ever I was glad that cycle never existed.

"You must be disappointed in me," her eyes turned downwards as she once more resumed her appearance as Queen.

"No, I stick by what I said before. It was the best choice to send me," I gave her a tender and sincere smile. Despite all the torment and pain, if I hadn't gone, though Lara may have succeeded in the end, I believe it was because I was there that a happier ending could be achieved. "I learnt a lot..., thank you."