Chapter 29: My Best Friend (Part 1)

The night progressed with a cold tension. Taylor returned not long after she left. With Ronalt's help the Kingdom and Guild were able to make use of the night and counter the Empire, not allowing them to rest as they tried to retreat. The constant battle wore out both sides but in the end it was our side that came out the better. Though their numbers were high, against Magicians of all sorts, the Empire couldn't claim a decisive position. All through the night Ronalt pushed at them, clear intent to fulfil his promise to me. It was a risk, but if Taylor's information was correct, by daybreak they'd no longer have a chance at all. The teleport formations had a limit and could only be used so much. Initially they had been saved as a resort to retreat but with our insistence to call the Kingdom, they couldn't be used till at least noon and even then only so many could run. The Archmage had bargained their lives on us and as much as I wanted to uphold her belief, it was looking grim.

The sleep we had was fitful and limited. Our eyes were focused on Lara and the forest. No matter how many hours passed she kept going. In a way it was truly heroic. The Hero's stand against an infinite number of enemies. If anyone saw this situation from the outside it would look like we were the bad guys even despite Lara's loss conscience.

Taylor managed to delivery some restoratives to us and Ardent recovered somewhat but when I had visited Marley she refused to wake. The spell she used on me had taken its toll. While I was glad to live, it was a shame. We needed her now more than ever and as the hours passed and the night began to edge away, so did the denizens begin to lose their strength. Lara really never gave up. Her armour was broken, her clothes torn and numerous scratches covered her body but still she remained a beacon of strength. Rough rasps of breaths puffed from her mouth visible due to the cold. Occasionally she'd scream, from what I didn't know. Maybe it was just instinct, maybe it was her secretly crying for help.

The sun peeked over the forest and with its first rays of light the denizens melted back into the land. An entire night and this was all we could accomplish. Caius fell to his knees struggling to breath. Beads of sweat pooled at his chin and dipped onto the earth.

"Get back Caius," I passed him a potion. "If we die you're the only one who can stall her."

He snatched the vial from me, "Then don't die." As much as I'd like to rely on him for the coming fight I knew better than anyone he wasn't moving anytime soon.

"Here's to hoping," I readied myself and stared into the crater that Lara had created. Dozens of metres deep, what had been part of the forest now stretched a hole in the land. Rubble and rocks were scattered haphazardly with tree roots springing from the soil. Lara stood in the centre confused at the denizens' sudden disappearance.

"Here we go," Taylor stretched her arms.

"Well at least she looks somewhat more tired," Earnest said.

I firmed myself, "Don't worry, we can do this. As long as we can pin her and get me close... I can save her." Or at least I hoped so.

"That is if we can pin her," Ardent laughed. He sighed softly, "This certainly has been a tale. If we survive this I am sure someone somewhere would make a lovely book."

"I would read that," Taylor nodded. "I'm sure there would be quite a few steamy scenes here and there." She winked at me.

I looked at her endearingly, "Time and place Taylor."

"I know," she stared back, there was a tender fear in her eyes, a fear directed at all she could lose.

"She's coming," Earnest placed his hand on his hilt, ready.