Chapter 16: Our way forward. (Part 2)

"You so owe me for this," the cheeky remark was said beside me. It was Marley. Unlike Taylor the girl didn't really know how to hide her presence and stuck out like a saw thumb. She grinned and looked up at me, "I feel like after this you should be my personal chef for a year."

"Is food all you think about?" I eyed her and sighed.

"Well I do have other interests you could help me with," her smile shifted several tones darker.

The shiver down my spine was far too real for comfort, "No, cooking's fine. Maybe not a year, but I can definitely make it worth your while."

"Then we have a deal," she nodded, quite happy with herself. With a hop she turned around about to leave.

"Hold on," I called her back causing her to look at me curiously. Her expression was a mirror of my own. "How are you okay with this?"

"With what?" she titled her head. "Healing is tiring but it's what I'm good at. Besides I also get a bonus when-."

"Not that," I interrupted her. "I mean with all of this here." I gestured around us and to the demons not so far away. Their features weren't at all hidden and open for the entire world to see. Lara I understood, she was a bleeding heart. Ardent was an open book of curiosity. Taylor didn't care. Even I had problems being around demons at first. Marley on the other hand. Since she had been here, she didn't bat an eye.

My question lingered in the air and as she turned to fully face me, Marley's girlish nature evolved into that of a mature women, "Rain. People are people. I was raised by the Temple of the Goddess, and despite everything, we need to love. If we don't, then we're no better than those who don't deserve it."

Her reply caught me by surprise as suddenly my opinion of her reformed. It wasn't just her statement but the look in her eyes that echoed memories heavier than her bubbly nature suggested.

"Besides," she laughed, "Demon, human, we all bleed."

I couldn't help let out a tired chuckle as well, "For what it's worth, I'm glad it's you that joined us for the journey."

"And I'm glad you joined us as well," Marley replied oddly sincere.

"For the food?"

"Not just that." Her hands tightened, "I didn't get the chance before but I wanted to thank you. I freaked out when that Monster attacked us. I was next to useless and if you hadn't been ready, not just Ronalt... we all could have died. So thank you." Before I could reply she flailed her body and pointed to me, "But that doesn't mean you don't owe me for this!"

"I get it. When we get back to Axel I'll make you a feast."

"A feast?" the new voice caused me to jump as it resounded beside my ear. I had become used to Taylor's sudden appearances but hearing Lara's voice so close was something else. She looked at me with all the innocence of the world. "Sorry did I scare you?"

"No..., I was just surprised," I mumbled.

"Marley do you mind if I talk to Rain for a bit?"

"No problem!" Marley saluted and walked away to where Ardent was helping the reconstruction. Though Lara had asked her politely, I feel like it would be hard to say no.

Now just the two of us, I was suddenly very aware of Lara's presence. "So did you need something?" I asked.

"Not really... just, is everything okay?"