Chapter 27: Our pause (Part 2)

It was just past dawn and the city was quiet. Taylor and I huddled in the alley watching for any soldiers, only moving when the coast was clear. We were in the market district and the early rises had already began to stock their shelves. The smell of baking bread drifted past us in the wind stirring my own stomach. As we reached one of the main streets we saw them. Not just any soldiers but fully armoured knights on patrol. We walked straight by them and they didn't bat an eye. The key to being unnoticed was being inconspicuous. There was no point in wearing thick cloaks that would shadow our faces, or use magic that could be traced by mana, that would just look suspicious. Unlike Jane's world it was harder to spread around a person's face, especially at such short notice. Instead, put on a scarf, ruffle your hair, slap on a hat, and even a pair of glasses, it was enough to slip by.

Like any other person in the morning we didn't ignore them completely and kept our distance joining the small few who went about their business. With Taylor leading me we arrived at our goal.

"I used to visit this place quite often. The price is decent and the bread's fresh," she opened the door to the bakery ringing a small chime. We weren't alone however as a thick bearded knight towered over the counter holding several bags.

"Sir, please it's not much, just pay the money I'm owed," the shop owner cowered but was able to speak his mind.

The knight however raised his hand threateningly, "How dare you. I am a knight of the Empire and you ask me to pay? Your very lives are only kept because of us!"

"A single loaf, yes, but so much... the taxes are already-."

His hand swung down smacking against the owner's head, "Take that as a warning to not speak back." He turned and marched for the door spotting us. "Have a problem?" his eyes glistened challengingly.

"No sir," I bowed my head to him as Taylor did the same.

"Good," on the way out he casually snagged another loaf, kicking open the door.

The shop owner stood up wobbly, "Goddess damn those bastards." A clear frustration pained his face. "Cheats and thieves the lot of them," he began to curse but then noticed us, "Ah, um, sorry about that."

"Don't worry we feel the same," I approached him with an empathetic smile. "Have they been coming here a lot?"

"Usually it's the city guard wanting a loaf, they're alright. The 'Knights' came this morning, apparently looking for some thieves. If you ask me they deserve to have lost whatever was stolen."

"It's been hard hasn't it," Taylor said softly.

The man rubbed his head, "With how they keep raising our taxes, I really might not make it this month."

A women's head popped out from the back room, "That's why I said we should just bugger off to the Kingdom."

"Honey please, my family have run this store for generations."

"And at this rate it'll end on you regardless," the women scowled at him and placed a freshly baked tray onto the table.

"We have customers," he looked to her pleadingly.

"Hmph," she turned her head and left as quickly as she came.

The man sighed, "This is what happens after you've married for many years. Though you two look like quite the cosy couple."