Chapter 9: My Waking Dream. (Part 1)

All my pain vanished and when I opened my eyes it was white. I was back in that room, that world of endless white. Like last time my body was naked and unblemished however I was comfortable. I had dreams before where I knew I was naked and during those dreams I had felt bare and exposed. Right now I felt natural.

"You're there aren't you?" I called out.

The feminine voice replied, "I am."

"Are we here to talk again?"

The body appeared, a vague outline of shadow on the surrounding white. It laughed, "As long as we have time." Slowly it approached me, then, reaching out a hand gently touched my face and sighed, "You cut it close. A few minutes sooner and you'd be stuck facing that Monster once more."

"And I would have hated that," I folded my arms.

The body let go and stepped back, "That's what I like about you. You knew the risks, what would happen, the logical option and yet despite that you somehow convinced yourself to go."

I frowned, "I didn't have a choice."

"But you did," once more its hand reached out but this time with a cheeky tap its finger pressed against my nose causing me to step back.

"Is there anything else you wanted or are you just here to mess with me?"

"Well... I'm always keen to see you. Unfortunately we don't have as much time as before. I'll have to say goodbye now." The body shuffled back and curtsied, "Goodbye."

"Till next time," I bowed myself.

She laughed, "Yes till next time." And with that the world collapsed.

*

I was back in my inn room. A dull ache crossed over my muscles and as I looked around I was greeted with the same scenery. If it was really the same then she would be showing up soon. I looked to the window and as expected Taylor climbed inside carrying a bag of apples.

"Oh you're awake," she greeted me with a light smile.

I wanted to smile back but a flash crossed my mind as I stared at the town visible behind her. Smoke rising from the burnt and broken buildings as the screams of the innocent flooded the air. My fists clenched on top the blankets.

Taylor leaned closer to me, "Are you okay?"

I shook off the feeling, "I'm fine. It's nice to see you're concerned though."

She laughed haughtily, "Maybe but that's all you're getting. I'll leave the soppy stuff to someone else."

"How is everyone?" I asked as I did last time and Taylor replied the same. It felt like I had only gone back four days but really it must have been seven. My unconscious state had sped things up. On one hand it was a blessing but on the other I had less time to figure out my plans.

I played my role like last time and hid my true state of mind. Ronalt came and apologised, Marley helped heal my body, Lara made a fuss... it was the same or at least as much as I tried to make it. As night came around I pushed myself from the bed. My body was still crooked and each step threatened to make me fall. I sighed. The past few days had felt like a dream and now knowing that it would all collapse my heart couldn't help but to shake with anxiety. The demons would attack three days from now in the middle of night. That I knew. Now it was all just a matter of being ready for it.

I reached the window and let the fresh air cool down my thoughts as I opened it.

"You should be resting," Taylor's voice came from the window beside mine.

"Probably," I replied wryly.

"Are you really alright?" her voice pressured me and when I turned to her, her eyes locked onto mine.

I smirked, "I could ask you the same question. How's town life? You weren't looking all too upbeat."

Her eyes widened in surprise, then she smiled, "So you could tell. And here I was building up the courage to get your advice. What can I say? Of course I find it strange, everyone here is so 'normal' it freaks me out."

"You're just not used to it yet. Give it some time," I gazed out into the distant streets. A guilt clung inside me. The obvious truth was that I hadn't noticed Taylor's feelings. To put it simply I was cheating.

"Hey Rain... have you ever fallen in love with someone before?"

"Can't say I have...." I couldn't look her in the eyes.

"Of all the things I've stolen, a person's heart is the most satisfying. It was a challenge to make them yours. Women, men, the old or the young," she sighed, "I didn't care. That rush of emotions they showed when I left... when I was with them... there's nothing quite like it."

"I've never felt like that or at least I'm pretty sure I haven't," I spoke honestly. "I'm guessing you want to do it again, steal someone's heart?"

"Maybe...," she rubbed her head angrily. "I don't know! Why'd you have to spring all this on me so soon? I'm not ready yet...."

"Taylor," I breathed out knowing already what I needed to say. "You're not alone anymore. I mean I'm here, Lara's here, we're all going to be together for a while to come. You don't need to steal someone's heart or anything else for that matter. If you want some attention, talk to me." I felt my face heat up. Unlike last time I knew just how embarrassing my words were.

Taylor laughed, and turned away, "Attention huh... yeah that's why I did it." She faced me again with a wide smile. My heart clenched. "I'll take you up on that. Next time I feel like stealing or whatever else, I'll talk to you first. So... save some time for me okay?"

"Sure," I smiled back.

"You know I have some time right now," she winked. "My door's unlocked."

Some things really never did change. "As much as I'd like to take you up on that offer my body right now would only disappoint you," I joked. "Try again next time."

"I will," the words were said so quietly I doubted I heard them but before I could ask she was gone.

****
Author's note:
It's the Easter break and I will be away from my computer so not uploads for about a week.
Apologies for those who take their time to read this.
Please enjoy the break!