Chapter 20: My Goddess (Part 2)

We reached an open room filled with several tables. The other temple priests and workers filled many of the seats enjoying the light filtering through the open windows. Lady Tillia gestured us over to sit with her, the man Daryl already beside her. While she may have been happy with him staying in the temple, I could tell some of the others were not overjoyed. Sidelong glances of suspicion and the occasional glare, but they said nothing. It seemed like Lady Tillia was the one who ran things here.

As we sat down at the table Ronalt spoke up, "I'm sorry if this is impolite but I have rarely met any humans. Just what brought you here?"

Daryl choked on his tea and began to cough, "Pardon me. Um well I was a bodyguard for a trade vessel. Our ship got lost and we wound up down the great river. In the end, Lady Tillia saved me and brought me here."

She looked at him warmly, "He is a brave man to have come so far."

"Don't you want to return?" Ronalt asked.

Daryl blanked, his eyes flashing to the other Temple workers and back to Lady Tillia, "I actually quite like it here. As presumptuous of me as that seems, the life in this temple... it's something I wished I could have one day." He looked at us almost pleadingly, "The members of the town have come to an understanding thanks to the Goddess' teachings but others aren't so happy to have me here. Please keep this to yourself."

"Do not worry," Ronalt dismissed him. "We have no intention to ruin your happiness."

"Thank you," he smiled. Because I was quite close to them I noticed his and Lady Tillia's hands gently touch each other. Taylor was totally right. This was the first time I had seen a demon and human fall in love. It was nice.

"Aren't you afraid though?" Ardent questioned curiously, "Demons such as us usually don't take such a pleasant outlook to your kind."

Lady Tillia answered, "The Temple and all it stands for will protect him." She looked at Marley, "Is it not the same at yours?"

Marley nodded, "Even the worst people are accepted. I don't see why a demon would not." A collective tightening of muscles spread through the table at Marley's verbal slip. Thankfully it was quiet enough that only we could hear it. "Ah sorry, I meant to say human."

"Of course," Lady Tillia smiled knowingly while Daryl nodded obliviously.

We ate a light meal together and talked about the Temples function and the nearby town. The Temple served as a place to worship the Goddess and get some peace of mind. The town was built as a place to support it and just steadily grew. Almost everyone inside was a devout worshiper. Though it was quite clear that when it came to humans a few teachings were truly being tested. Once we were done Lady Tillia stood up to prepare the sanctuary for me. Daryl excused himself and wandered away.

"I'm going to prepare as well," I stood up from the table.

"Do you really need to?" Taylor asked.

I smiled wryly, "I just want to be ready if something goes wrong."

She looked concerned, "You don't think something will do you?"

Quite honestly I did but I didn't want to worry her or Lara who sat beside her looking at me the same way. "It should be fine. I'm just going to wash myself."

"Want me to come with you?" Taylor smiled suggestively.

I ignored her and turned to Ronalt, "I'll be using the carriage."