Chapter 25: Our Master of Wizards. (Part 3)

Marley and I continued to test various cures throughout the night. Earnest decided to go outside and take a walk, while Caius disappeared... it was unfortunate that I knew what he was doing. The only thanks I had was that this Caius and I's memories had separated. Taylor stayed close to me and when it came time to rest, laid down beside me. In the end however we could only do so much for the children. We managed to stop them trying to leave the makeshift orphanage but that was by dosing them with more drugs. The spell binding them while it wasn't too strong kept resetting every few hours. The only thing that could do that was some kind of artefact and until we took care of it, the curse would never end.

"What do you think?" I asked Caius as he finally graced us with his presence in the morning.

"You would know better than I wouldn't you?" he replied indifferently.

"In whole yeah, but I can't use my mana without hurting myself, a second check would help," I pushed him towards the closest child.

"Fine," he pressed his hand to the child's head. "Yes... I do feel something binding him. A string to the North east."

"That's the direction of the Magicians Guild," Taylor said frowning.

"A bit too much of a coincidence don't you think?" I thought the same as Taylor. "Mama looks like our goals align."

"That they do," she smiled and took a breath of her pipe. "Your passage has been arranged and this is for you." She handed a package not to me but to Caius. Her hand drew across his cheek lovingly, "For services rendered."

"Appreciated," he took the package with a sly grin. Taylor and I looked at the both of them in distaste.

"So how does this work?" I asked once they had settled down.

Mama sat down in front of us, "A guide will lead the way to the Magicians Guild under the safest and most hidden route. Leave your carriage here," she puffed out more smoke, "don't worry it'll be well kept."

"Is everyone ready?" I turned to others who nodded one by one. "Good. Let's go find Ardent."

We headed outside and were met by a small girl wearing a dark dress with a red flower in her hair.

She spoke in a monotone, "This way please."

"Earnest, Caius watch our backs, Taylor lead with our guide and Marley stay with me." With our formation set we said our goodbyes to Mama and went on our way.

The small girl guided us with a stern precision as Taylor looked at her with a complicated gaze. I had the feeling for much of her young life that job may have been given to her. With what could happen in the slums, there was no telling the potential dangers. Even as influential as Mama seemed, there were enough desperate people in the slums to go against that.

Several hours passed as we worked our way through hidden paths, crossing buildings and tunnels that looked both old and new. It was a long trek and at times we had to wait for the perfect moment to pass through, avoiding the gazes of the Empire's soldier's who occasionally ambled around. The further we went out from the slums the more there were, suspiciously so, and as the towering castle like structure of the Magician's guild came into sight, our preordained path could no longer be taken.

"An unexpected obstruction," the monotone girl mumbled. She stared with cold eyes at the moving soldiers. "This wa-."

Taylor stopped her, "It's fine, we can take it from here."