Chapter 21: My Demon Lord (Part 2)

To my surprise I slept well. Okay, it wasn't surprising. We all slept well but it was not in a small part due to the concoction I fed them last night. A small drug to encourage sleep. As it was for their benefit they took it willingly... or at least mostly.

Before the sun's rays even broke the horizon I rose from the cover of my sheets alone. The room I had spent the past week in now felt quite familiar and like my daily ritual before I picked up my knife. Standing beside the bed I raised the blade to my temple and with a swift movement faded away only to return again. I had to wonder how many more times I would see this scene.

With trepid steps I climbed down the stairs. Ronalt was already waiting.

"Good morning Rain," he greeted me with his usual stern gaze. I realised now that I had grown quite fond of it. Despite its intimidating aspects there was a care beneath the surface that was quite loving.

"Good morning Ronalt," I smiled my own greeting. "How are you feeling?"

"Thanks to you, fresh," he stretched his arms, revealing the thick muscle beneath his clothing. His expression softened and he breathed out heavily, "Rain, do you believe we'll succeed?"

"I have no doubt," I replied immediately with confidence.

Ronalt looked down at me in amazement, "How can you say that?"

"Because we have to and I know as long as you're here, you'll make sure we do." I meant those words.

He laughed, "Strange... although I didn't expect you out of all of us to say that, hearing it has brought me peace of mind."

"Glad to be of help."

His large hand pressed down on my shoulder, "And thank you Rain. You have been a true friend to me these past weeks. Once this is over, if you ever need me, call and I shall be there."

"I'll call you but it won't be anything serious. I've enjoyed our drinking sessions and your reading selection is as entertaining as always."

He smiled genuinely, "Then come by the Kingdom Capital and I shall show you so much more."

"I look forward to it."

We stood together and waited for the others to arrive. It didn't take long and within minutes the carriage was ready, taking us all through the vacant streets. In the mornings like now, just as the son rose the Demon Capital was most quiet. The denizens of night faded away and the people had not yet woken from slumber. It was a time I liked to look outside the inn's window. The disparity of liveliness gave a haunting atmosphere and as the sun rose, life bloomed back like vines quickly reaching through the streets. By the time we reached the forest however, not much had changed and all was still silent.

In a small clearing out of view from the city's tall buildings, Ardent had prepared his magic. I looked over the circuit with interest. Since saving Taylor's life I had been able to understand the intricacies of their structure and could truly appreciate Ardent's knowledge. Now however wasn't the time to admire it as one by one I handed out everyone's equipment, clean, polished and ready for a heavy beating.

It had been a while since they wore their full set of armour and weapons. Even Taylor who was on the lighter side had a capability flowing from her.

She caught my eyes and smirked, "Looking is free and for you so is touching. Mind giving me a hand?" She was the last one to pick up her things and now alone, she provocatively showed her back to me, the clasping on her clothes and armour still undone.