Chapter 18: Our Voyage (Part 1)

The previous night was forgotten. I relayed what happened to Ronalt and he agreed to keep it a secret. A lesson had been learnt however. The seven of us were in foreign lands and no matter how good our disguises or the people we met seemed to be, the difference in our race could end it all. A deep rooted hate and distrust that would take decades to unfold. Even if Lara wanted to, even for her as the Hero, she couldn't untie centuries worth of conflict. As for the man, maybe one day I'd tell her the truth....

By the time we all woke up we were almost late and arrived at the docks just in time to board. It was a small sized trading vessel. Pina was kept above deck in a shelter she shared with several other paradise moas. Our carriage was stored below along with the other cargo. While we wouldn't be using it, Ardent placed a lock just in case. The captain and the crew were from the armed tribe and similar to Gola had four arms each. It made them incredibly deft working the boat.

The Captain, a large man, gripped Ronalt's hand in a four armed shake, "A pleasure to meet you sir of the horned tribe. Do not worry, your party will be well looked after on my ship."

"Ah yes, we'll be in your care," Ronalt returned the man's shake. If it had been me I'm afraid he might have fractured something with how vigorous their actions were.

"We have two rooms for you to use and as we travel feel free to wander the ship. However if you find a locked door please keep it that way," he led us around the ship and introduced us to the crew. It was a well-kept ship and looked comfortable enough for the week journey. "I'm not sure if the office in Tona told you but we will be making a stop at the port town of Reese on the way to Citlia. Just picking up some more cargo and selling others. Once we arrive you're welcome to explore the town as long as you're back before we leave."

"That shouldn't be a problem," Ronalt replied. "Is there anything you require of us?"

"My crew and I should be fine," he smiled and rubbed his hands. "It's quite a long journey but I'm sure you'll find something to do to pass the time."

The ship set sail not long after the introduction and we moved down the river. So began a peaceful few days. The boat was in constant motion and being in the middle of a river protected us from any denizens of the night. Whenever an interesting sight came around the Captain would call us on deck and give a brief history lesson. It was like we were tourists on a leisurely trip. Surprisingly none of us had trouble with the rocking water. I at least thought that Ardent would be sick for the first day.

There wasn't much to do on the boat but like the Captain had said we found ways to pass the time. I helped around the boat learning from the sailors. It was a good opportunity to learn how to work a boat, something I had never done before. Other than that, as the crew didn't have a dedicated chef I took on the role. Ronalt and Ardent took to fishing off the side of the boat, occasionally catching something. Earnest did as he usually did, swinging his sword and sleeping otherwise. He was banned from any rigorous work outs in case he broke the ship. Marley was the most bored out of all of us and spent her time moping on deck or playing cards with Lara. Taylor relaxed, occasionally followed me around and at times even joined Ronalt fishing. Lara was the only one who didn't like fishing, not being able to handle the fishes and especially the part where I gutted them. Other than that she was happy doing whatever and said it reminded of a cruise she once took.

Two days passed like nothing. We didn't pass many other ships and a peaceful lull had entered our hearts. It was currently night, the sun had set but the crew were still taking it in turn to make sure the ship flowed down the current. While it wasn't as advanced as some of the boats I had heard about, several spells had been inlaid into the wood to prevent it steering into the banks and helped it avoid anything dangerous.

I yawned and looked down from my position on the raised bridge. One of the four armed sailors was leisurely sitting on the deck and another stood beside me steering the ship. The door leading below deck opened and to my surprise Marley walked out. She staggered on to the deck as if drunk. I moved down to greet her only to find out she was actually sleep walking.

"Memmm," she mumbled and moved about with half closed eyes. It was the first time I had seen her like this. I wasn't sure if I should try wake her up or not. Just as I was about to the door opened again and Lara walked out.

She yawned, "Hey Rain, you're not sleeping?" Her arms pulled the nightgown around her. A soft pink, it suited her innocent features giving her a sense of delicateness. It wasn't just me whose attention was caught as the two sailors on duty flicked their eyes over.

"Ronalt likes if one of us keeps an eye out," I replied normally. No matter how safe we felt there was no harm in a little insurance. "Also the breeze feels amazing."

"Yeah it does," she smiled brightly. The tiredness in her eyes only made her cuter. My heart beat in my chest harder but the memory of what had happened in Tona quickly stilled it.

"You here for Marley?" I asked and gestured to where she was walking around the mast in circles. "Has she always sleep walked?"

Lara nodded and laughed, "Yep every few days. We usually keep the door locked but she managed to pry it somehow." In other words she broke it.... "You didn't try wake her up did you?"

"No... should I not?"

"She gets cranky if you do. It's better to just let her slump away. She'll settle down in a few minutes." My picture of Marley cranky was her swinging a large hammer at me while moping. I doubt she would heal me after that one.

"Noted," I nodded. "I wonder what she's dreaming about."

Lara's expression saddened, "I hear her mumble about her parents sometimes."

"And considering she's a priest of the Goddess she's probably an orphan, right?"

Lara nodded, "Marley doesn't talk about it much."

"I wouldn't want to either," I said understandingly. I was lucky and picked up by Axel but if they didn't raise me I would probably have been passed to the Church of the Goddess as well. From what I knew they were very caring people but they weren't your dad and mum. They had dozens of children to care for after all.

"Well at least she seems happy." That she did as she hugged the mast and laughed. Though at the same time, to me she seemed lonely. As if whatever the mast was could disappear at any moment.