29

You had just enough paper hearts to stretch from Schlatt's door to the couch in the living room. There were parts of the line that were a little sparse, but not too badly that it didn't look good anymore. Halfway through laying everything out, you realized it might be a little too rom-com for Schlatt's taste, but it was too late to stop then. 

Laying the trail was the easy part - you were quiet enough that even right outside Schlatt's door you didn't wake him. Not that you were too worried about it - he seemed like he would be a heavy sleeper. 

The part you were worried about was what the trail of hearts was going to lead to. You tossed around the idea of just laying on the couch yourself, but just thinking about it made your face heat up, so that was quickly scrapped. The whole idea behind this was telling him without actually having to say the words anyway - you needed something that would get the point across without making you die of embarrassment.

If only Maddy were here - she could have helped, though she probably would have liked the idea of you just sprawling out on the couch yourself. 

You hovered around the living room, thinking. Something simple, that could say what you needed to without you having to embarrass yourself. But something still grand and meaningful that would go with the trail of hearts. Your eyes caught on the stack of bins Maddy housed her painting supplies in, and an idea carried you forward. 

You knew she had scrapbook paper in there - thick, cardstock like stuff that came already cut in perfect squares. Perfect for a giant version of the sticky note hearts that were scattered across the floor now, and there would be enough space on the inside for you to write whatever you wanted. 

You would figure that part out once you got the paper.

You started to lift the top bins off the stack, opening each of them to peer inside, looking for the scrapbook paper. You had gotten through about three bins, quiet as a mouse, before as you were lifting the fourth off the stack the plastic pinched your fingers and you flinched, dropping the bin on accident. 

It hit the floor with a loud smack, and you froze. 

You could feel your heart pounding in your chest as you heard Schlatt's door open. There was a rasp in his voice - from sleep, no doubt - as he called out. "Y/N?" You could hear as he took a step forward, crushing the first of the paper hearts in the line. "Wha-"

You set the bin back down. You weren't read - you thought you would have more time to get things in order - you could feel the pinch on your finger-

Schlatt padded into the living room, eyes following the hearts. His gaze landed on the empty couch first, and then shifted over to you, and the bins on the floor. A single eyebrow raised. "Arts and crafts at three in the morning?"

"Um." You said wisely, scrambling for something to say about all of this. "I-"

"There's a trail of origami hearts from my door." Schlatt said, walking towards you. 

"There is." You agreed. 

A stretch of silence took over then, and you just found yourself looking at Schlatt. He seemed strangely amused, looking at all the hearts on the floor, and you still frozen, caught red handed. 

He reached down, picking up one of the hearts from the floor, rolling it over in his hand. "This is all very elaborate for just telling me you think I'm hot."

You spluttered, face heating up. "It was supposed to be romantic-"

Schlatt looked to you again, humming thoughtfully. He flicked the heart that he was holding at you, and it hit you in the chest before falling to the floor. "Host."

"What?" 

"Host." Schlatt said again, an evil sort of grin coming to play on his face. "I choose host."

You scrubbed a hand over your face, sitting down on the couch. "I can't believe you're bringing that up now."

You could feel the couch dip as he sat down beside you, but you couldn't bring yourself to look. "I think it's only fair. You're just lucky forty thousand people aren't watching."

You groaned. This was not going how you wanted it to at all - Schlatt wasn't supposed to have seen any of it yet, and you hadn't even finished getting everything in place, and it was all because you dropped that stupid bin-

"Hey." 

"What." You sighed. 

"Jesus, you don't have to sound so depressed about it." Schlatt huffed out a laugh. "Look at me, will you?"

You took your hand away from your face slowly, turning to face Schlatt. The evil grin that had been on his face previously was gone now, and the soft look that you had seen a few times before had taken it's place. You were sure you looked like a mess - you had just rolled out of bed, and now you were an embarrassed mess-

Schlatt leaned in and pressed his lips to yours. 

The kiss was chaste and quick and gone before you really knew what was happening, Schlatt leaning back with a frown on his face. "You gonna kiss me back, or what?" He asked, looking at you, mockingly disappointed. 

You brought a hand up to your lips, tracing over the place where Schlatt's had just been. "I'm going to need a minute." You said. 

Schlatt laughed, draping an arm around your shoulders and leaning down to kiss you again. This time you were ready for it - well, not completely, but more ready than you had been for the last one - and you reciprocated easily, savoring the feeling of his lips against yours and his arm around you, gently tugging you closer. 

It was a little crazy - a trail of paper hearts at three in the morning - but here you were, kissing Schlatt, so maybe there was something to be said for crazy.