11

Sticky notes were probably the most useful thing in the world. 

They were small enough that you could carry them in your pocket, but large enough that you had space to write, if you needed. The strip of glue on the top let you put them pretty much anywhere you wanted, so that they were always in sight. They were perfect squares - so they made great origami sheets for small animals and hearts. They came in a variety of colors, and were a staple of office supplies around the world - they could be whatever you needed in the moment.

Right now, they were a drawing board.

You were in your room, sticky notes lined up neatly on the wall, where you could see them all at the same time. You felt a little like some sort of scientist, looking at each and every solution you could think of, and adding more when they crossed your mind. It was important that you pick the best one - your reputation was on the line here. 

You had taken Maddy's suggestion to heart - you would make it up to Schlatt, one way or another. It was an asshole move, to take his Love or Host from him, and giving something back would hopefully kill two birds with one stone - you could mend your relationship with him, and hopefully get the mobs of Dream SMP stans off your back.

It was only a matter of choosing the best option.

Each sticky note you had placed on the wall had a different idea scrawled across the top, and then lists of the pros and cons underneath. You had felt a little silly writing it all down, but looking at your thoughts neatly displayed like this cleared your head, and it would make the decision easier if you could look at them all at the same time. 

The furthest sticky note from you was the idea you liked the least. Sending him a cut of the money you made from the stream and the YouTube video that would follow. You didn't like this one, not because you wanted the funds for yourself, but it felt... uncouth. There was something about jut sending someone money as a form of apology that just seemed disrespectful. Still, it was on the wall.

The next solution you had come up with was the most logical, in your opinion. Offer a collab of some sort, make a few videos together that he could post and take all the funds from. After the catastrophe that had been the love or host, people were surely dying to see some sort of aftermath between you and Schlatt, and no doubt a collab between you would rack up views quickly. It also felt like more a friendly gesture than just sending him money, and you would like to repair his view of you, or at least try to.

The third solution would probably have been the one you would have gone with if thousands of thirteen year olds weren't hungering for your blood - a private apology. Something sincere, just between you and him, to let him know that you truly hadn't meant for things to turn out like this, and explain that you actually found him funny and somewhat nice. Unfortunately, if you wanted to keep your social presence clean, some part of this would have to be public.

As you looked over your options, you frowned. It felt like you were choosing your next move in a game of chess or something. 

Your head told you that the second option was the best, but you held yourself back - what if he didn't want to collab? While you and Schlatt made similar content, your audiences were different. Plus, with all the Twitter drama in the aftermath of the love or host, there was no guarantee a collab wouldn't just turn into an all-out-battle between fans in the comment sections. A private apology would be easier, and probably mend your relationship more, but it wouldn't fix the public part. 

You sighed and flopped on your bed, looking up to the ceiling. Why did it all have to be so complicated? Being a YouTuber was supposed to be fun - people dreamed about this job. So why did it feel like a balancing act between your private and public life? No matter what you did, you couldn't appeal to everyone - and you knew that - but that didn't mean you didn't want to try and get everyone to like you. It felt awfully like a numbers game - did you want the approval of the majority, or the respect of the few?

You rolled over to sit up and pulled the first sticky note off the wall - you could safely cross out just sending him money - that was uncouth. You wanted to be more sincere than that.

You glanced between the two remaining options, still slightly torn. Although... you could try and do both. Apologize in private and then offer the collab as a sort of peace offering. That could work...

You smiled to yourself, the doubt and conflict from trying to choose melting away. This way, you could satisfy both the majority, and hopefully get back on Schlatt's good side. It was just a matter of reaching out to him now - which would be the hard part. 

You flopped back on the bed and pulled out your phone, opening Twitter and finding Schlatt's profile. You scrolled through his tweets from the day briefly - he still hadn't said anything about the love or host, going right back to making jokes. You didn't know whether it was a sign that he really didn't care or that he actually took it pretty hard. Either way, you were still going to apologize - it was the right thing to do, especially since it had been your first impression with him. 

You opened your DM's and began to type, writing and rewriting the same words over and over again, until you finally shut your eyes and hit send.