21

You landed home six hours later, and found Maddy waiting for you at the airport, wanting to know all the details of the trip. She grilled you in the car ride home, asking you about everything she had missed and you showed her a picture of naked-face Schlatt and she was satisfied for the rest of the ride, leaving you to nap for the fifteen minutes it took to get home.

Maddy woke you up when she parked with a hand on your shoulder. "Y/N."

You stirred from your sleep with a groan, rubbing your eyes. "Already?"

Maddy laughed a little, popping open the trunk of the car and getting out. "C'mon. I'll help you bring your stuff upstairs, and once you unpack you can go back to sleep."

You sighed, but got out of the car anyway, trudging around the back to get one of your bags. Maddy grabbed the other and closed the trunk with her free hand, following you as you walked in to the building, heading to the stairs that would take you up to your floor. 

"You feeling alright?" Maddy asked as you started up the stairs. "You seem a little out of it." 

You sighed again. "Just tired from the flight." 

"You didn't sleep at all on the plane?" Maddy asked. 

"I tried to." You said. And it was true, you had tried to fall asleep for about an hour, just laying in your seat with your eyes closed. The only problem was that your mind wouldn't stop racing, thinking about that hug that Schlatt had left you with, replaying the moment over and over again. The giddy feelings had built up enough that you hadn't been able to catch a wink of sleep. 

There was something about the fact that you probably wouldn't see him for quite a bit that contributed to that too.

"Sit in front of some kids or something?" Maddy asked. 

You shrugged. "Something like that."

The apartment was the same as you had left it - a little less clean, maybe, but you had expected that when you had left Maddy alone for an extended period of time. The couch was strewn with blankets - a tell tale sign that she had had someone over. 

"Who'd you have over?" You asked as you passed the sofa on your way to your room. 

Maddy smiled sheepishly. "You remember Jake, right?"

You rolled your eyes, opening the door to your room and dropping your bag on the floor and dropping yourself on the bed, smiling as you hit the mattress. As much as you had wanted to stay, it would be nice to get a solid night sleep in your own bed again. 

You could hear Maddy drop the other bag next to the one you had brought in. "Unpack before you fall asleep." She said. "Also, what do you want for dinner?"

"Whatever we have is good." You said, pushing yourself up off the bed.

"I was going to make waffles." Maddy said. 

"Sounds great." You said, and then she was gone, heading back to the kitchen to warm up the waffle iron and get dinner started. 

You heaved your bags up onto the bed, popping them open to start unloading everything that you had brought with you. You would have to wash all the clothes you had brought, so those went straight to the hamper - the actual laundry part could be done at some other point. The toiletries you had packed went back to the bathroom, and you plugged your charger back into the wall.

It was when you were hanging your jacket back up on the hook on the back of your door that the crushed little origami heart fell out. 

You just looked at it for a moment before you stooped down to pick it up, smoothing it back into a semblance of the shape it was supposed to be. It was the same heart you had made on the love or host. You had stuffed it in your pocket when you had left, intending to give it to Schlatt as a joke, and completely forgot about it.

Seeing it now just reminded you that even if you wanted to give it to him, you wouldn't be able to for a while. 

You pushed your bags back off the bed and flopped down in their place, setting the crushed sticky note heart on your bedside table. You should have given it to him - he would have laughed and called it stupid, but kept it anyway, just because that was the kind of person he was. 

You rolled over pressing your face into your pillow to crush the thoughts from your head. You needed to stop thinking about him at every opportunity - you weren't going to get to see him in person for a long time, and it would be better for yourself if you just put a stop to all your feelings now. 

It wouldn't be easy, but you could do it. 

You rolled back over, this time laying on your side so that you could see the corkboard that hung above your computer. The trip had been marked by a row of green dots symbolizing your absence, and you had missed a few stream days. Catching up would be the perfect thing to pour yourself into and completely put aside any feelings that you had for Schlatt. 

It wouldn't have worked anyway. You kept telling yourself that, listing reasons that it would have fallen apart - the distance, the difference in personality, the difference in content you put out, the fact that you didn't even know if he felt the same way - but convincing yourself that he wasn't worth the thought was hard. The days you had spent hanging out on your trip, watching all the little things about him, had your heart convinced otherwise. 

You sighed, laying on your back and closing your eyes, trying to get to sleep and decidedly not thinking about Schlatt. At all. Not even a little bit.