23

Two months. You hadn't seen Schlatt in about two months, and you hadn't properly talked to him in about three weeks. Sure you kept in contact, but your text thread had mostly been reduced to sending memes and TikToks and the occasional 'hey your last video was really good'. You missed talking to him, but it was easier this way. 

You would still pin a heart to the board every now and again, but it was less than it had been. You could feel yourself getting over your crush - slowly, but surely. 

So of course he had to text you and ruin all the progress you'd made. 

You had been editing a video for your channel when your phone buzzed, and on instinct, without even really looking at it, you grabbed your phone to read the text. You tried to stop yourself from getting too excited when you saw it was Schlatt who had texted you, but to no avail, because the message made your nerves flutter nonetheless.

hey do you have a minute i need to ask you something

Your fingers hovered over your phone as your mind raced - what did  that mean? Did something happen? Did he figure out that you liked him from looking back over the footage? You took a breath, letting logic take over - it was probably something related to work, no big deal. You typed back your response, not wanting to keep him waiting.

yeah sure whats up

His response was almost immediate, but you had come to expect that from him anyway. 

when u said we should meet up again was that an actual offer?

Butterflies erupted in your stomach against your better judgement and you had to read the message twice to make sure that was what he had actually said and not just something you had made up in your head. But no, there it was in front of you. 

of course it was an actual offer i would love to hang out again

You realized after you sent it that maybe you had come off a little too eager, but it wasn't like you could take it back now. And, he had already responded. 

cool 

ive been kind of itching to get away from the city for a bit so i thought i should ask

You smiled down at your phone.

youre more than welcome to come out here maddy and i have a spare bedroom in the apartment that you could use

It was only after you sent that that you realized you would also have to ask Maddy is she was cool with Schlatt living with you both for however long. 

"Maddy!" You leaned back in your chair, calling out your open bedroom door into the rest of the apartment. 

You could hear her roll off her bed and a second later her head poked out of her bedroom, inquisitive. "Yes dear?"

"Hypothetically," You led in. "If I was going to have a visitor, would you mind if they stayed in the spare bedroom?"

Maddy's curious frown turned into a smile and she waggled her eyebrows at you. "Who's the visitor?"

You couldn't fight the smile playing on your own lips. "It might be Schlatt."

"Yes." Maddy said. "I don't mind at all - actually, tell him to get his butt out here. I'm tired of you moping around because you miss him-"

"I'm not moping." You retorted,  even though you both knew that you had been slugging around since you got back from your trip. 

Maddy just rolled her eyes knowingly. "Whatever, my answer is yes anyway. Maybe I'll even go visit Jake that week, who knows?" She ducked back into her room with a playful smile, and you couldn't help but echo it on your own face as you turned back to your phone. 

Schlatt had texted you back while you had been talking to Maddy. 

that would be great

i was thinking maybe id fly in in a couple weeks? if that works for you

You typed back your response immediately. 

yeah that sounds great

ill bring my camera maybe we could make a couple more videos

You grinned at that - filming with Schlatt was probably the highlight of your last trip, and you were eager to have that again.

yeah definitely 

He didn't respond right away after that - something else had caught his attention, you were sure -  but you could count on a response eventually, you knew. You would probably have to hash out the details of the trip with him (pick a specific set of days, book the flight - you would have to clean the apartment before he got here), but just thinking about the fact that you were going to see him again made those warm fuzzy feelings fill up in your chest. 

Phone in hand, you got out of your seat and flopped on the bed, peeling a sticky note off the top of your stack and folding it into a heart. 

You were going to see him again - and he had been the one to ask if he could come visit. It really had no right to be making you this happy, but here you were, folding heart after heart, just thinking about the first time you had seen him and that you were going to get to have that again. 

So much for trying to get rid of your crush, you supposed. Two months of desperately trying not to think about him and the moment you let your guard down and think that you're in the clear, you get absolutely blindsided. You didn't find yourself caring too much however - there were bigger fish to fry.

You were going to have to deep clean the apartment. And when was the last time you had changed the sheets on the spare bed? You hadn't even been in the spare bedroom for months - it was probably full of dust, and you were pretty sure Maddy's old monitor was still in there. And good lord, what were you going to do with all the paper hearts?