13

Two weeks later, you were in Maddy's car at five in the morning, nursing a coffee as she drove you to the airport. 

It had taken a few days of back and forth DMs on Twitter to figure out the details, but you had settled on a few days that worked for the both of you, and you had set everything up - booking a flight and a hotel room in the city. The trip was kind of expensive, but you were sure you could make the money back in ad revenue with the videos you would make.

It had been nice talking to Schlatt too - figuring out the trip details had required good communication, which had just stemmed into sharing video ideas for when you met up, talking about your days - he had even sent you a couple TikTok videos of Gibbons, just because. Talking to Schlatt was easy - he responded relatively quickly and every other message he sent made you laugh.

You were beginning to actually like him. Hopefully after all of this, you could keep him as a YouTube friend.

"You still awake?"

"Hmm?" You picked your head up from where you had been leaning it on the window and took another sip of your coffee, glancing at Maddy. "I'm up."

"You looked like you were falling asleep." She said, sparing you a glance from the road. "You gotta stay awake so you can get this flight man."

You hummed, leaning back against the window. "Coffee should kick in soon." You fought back a yawn. "Maybe a change of music would help too."

Maddy frowned. "You don't like my Italian 80's pop music?" 

Soft music hummed through the speakers of Maddy's car. It wasn't bad - there was that electronic flare that all 80's music had, combined with something distinctly European. You had no clue what they were saying in the songs, as you didn't speak Italian, but there was something comforting about the smooth voices nonetheless.

"It just makes me sleepy." You said. 

Maddy clicked her tongue. "Well, it's either this, or Mindless Self Indulgence again, so-"

"Actually, this is great." You amended. 

Maddy smiled to herself and began to hum along to the song as she drove. You turned your attention back to the window, taking another sip of your coffee and trying not to fall asleep to the gentle movement of the car. Outside on the freeway, other cars whizzed by - people making the commute to work, no doubt.

It was a little weird to think that you could have ended up with a commute and a desk job if the whole streaming gig hadn't worked out. Imagining yourself driving in to work every day was hard, when you were so used to just getting out of bed and plopping down at your desk. If you did work in an office though, you were sure you would have a corkboard full of sticky note above your desk.

You shifted against the window, watching as Maddy shifted lanes to head towards the exit that lead to the airport. In a way, you were sort of making a commute to work. This trip was for YouTube, after all, as much as it was also for personal reasons. You could feel the coffee start to kick in, and you perked up some. It had been a while since you had taken a trip, and you were excited to go somewhere new.

"Finally waking up?" Maddy asked.

"A little." You said. "I still wish I was back in bed though."

"You'll have time to sleep on the flight." Maddy said. "How long is it again?"

"Six hours." You said. 

"Yeah, that's prime nap time right there." Maddy joked, pulling into the airport and beginning to circle the lot, looking for a place to stop. You sucked down the rest of your coffee and set the empty cup aside, making sure you had everything you would need to get through security. 

Maddy eventually pulled up beside the main building and stopped the car, turning to you. "Got everything?"

"Yeah." You said, sliding your phone and your wallet into your pocket. "Should be good to go."

"I'll help you get your bags." Maddy said, popping open the trunk before she got out of the car. You slipped out the passenger side, meeting her around the back and taking the bags as she handed them to you.

You draped one of your shoulder and just grabbed the other with your free hand as Maddy closed the trunk. Around you, you could see families, men in suits, tourists and frantic women all making their way to and from the airport. Even now, when most of the world was still just waking up, this place was bustling. 

"I guess I'll see you in a couple days." Maddy said, smiling. 

"Yeah." You said. "Try not to absolutely destroy the apartment while I'm gone, yeah?"

She laughed. "I'll do my best. Have a good time, and text me when you land. I want pictures too!"

"Will do." You said, starting towards the doors. "Thanks for the ride."

"Anytime." Maddy said. "And tell Schlatt I said hello!"

You waved once more over your shoulder and then you were inside, making your way through the moving masses. You were an experienced professional with this kind of thing - flying out to different YouTuber events and conventions in years past had given you plenty of experience with airports. You had even come to find them grounding, in a way. No matter where you were, you could always expect the same thing at an airport.

You went through the motions - checking in, going through security, sitting down for the long wait. It was a minute after you had sat down that your phone buzzed. You picked it up, thinking that it might have been Maddy, only to see a new DM from Schlatt.

see you in a few hours 

There was nothing else attached to the message, but it made you smile anyway, just knowing that he was probably somewhat excited that you were flying in too. 

cant wait :)