20

You met Schlatt outside the hotel when the sun was still low in the sky, and the light hadn't fully reached through the clouds yet, leaving everything in sort of greyed out colors. You had packed when you had gotten back last night, so it was just a matter of checking out and loading your bags into Schlatt's trunk before you were sliding into the passenger seat and clipping your seatbelt in place.

"Morning." Schlatt greeted, and edge of sleep on his voice. The music was softer this time around in the car, and it matched the quiet early morning. "There's a coffee for you in the cupholder - I wasn't sure how you like it so I just put some cream and sugar."

You glanced down at the cupholder between you to see two drinks - one for Schlatt, and a lighter one for you. "Thanks." You said, taking yours gratefully. "I didn't know you took your coffee black."

Schlatt shrugged, pulling away from the hotel and into the morning flow of cars. "The bitterness wakes me up and the caffeine keeps me there."

The drive to the airport was slow going - everyone trying to get to their jobs certainly didn't hekp the already crammed city streets - but you didn't mind too much. The car was warm, the coffee was starting to wake you up a little more, and the music was gentle enough that it sort of just faded to the background.

It gave you plenty of time to let the dread you had been feeling about having to leave dissolve into a bitter resignation too.

Leaning against the window, you could land your eyes on Schlatt's reflection without having to worry about him asking why you were looking at him. You sipped at your coffee idly, thinking about the apartment back home. Maddy had probably just been going about her days as she normally did - you were sure she had forgotten eggs on her grocery run, she always did. You could picture yourself sliding right back into your routine easily - wake up, work on videos, mid-day break, stream in the evening, fall asleep.

The only problem was that you didn't really want to. 

It felt like going home after a really fun vacation. It would be nice to be back in your own bed, but you would have preferred to have stayed. Something about filming with Schlatt just made making content more fun, and now that you knew that brash internet persona wasn't truly him you found yourself loathe to leave. Still, there wasn't much you could do about it, you had already booked the flight.

"Here we are."

Your trance broke as Schlatt pulled up in front of the airport, putting the car in park near the curb. He had a strange look on his face as he did, looking at the building. 

"You alright?" You asked. 

The look was gone the moment you asked, and he was clearing his throat, unbuckling his seat belt. "Yeah, just tired." He said. "Here, let me help you with your bags."

You got out of your seat as he popped the trunk, walking around the back of the car to meet him. Schlatt lifted your bags out of the trunk with ease, setting them against the bumper of the car while he closed it back up. You watched him, looking for that expression you had caught again, but finding nothing. 

When he turned to you, he had a soft smile on his face. "It was nice of you to come out."

"Anytime." You said, and you meant it. "Thank you for the ride again, you really didn't have to."

There was a moment of silence after you spoke, where you just looked at each other. Your eyes mapped out Schlatt's face one last time.

"We should do this again sometime." Schlatt said, breaking the silence. 

"We should." You agreed readily. "Maybe... next time, you could fly out and stay with me and Maddy for a bit."

"Yeah." Schlatt said. "That sounds great."

Silence fell over the both of you again, and you mentally kicked yourself - where had the ease you'd spoken to him before gone? Maybe it was the fact that you were leaving, but suddenly you couldn't talk to him without letting the conversation die. It was like you were in middle school again, stammering your way through a conversation with the boy you liked.

If you were being completely fair though, Schlatt wasn't doing much better. 

"I guess this is it then." He said, finally breaking the silence. 

You hummed in agreement. "I had a really nice time. Hopefully those videos make back what you lost from the love or host-"

You were cut off by Schlatt wrapping you up in a hug. He almost  picked you up with the force of it, and you laughed, wrapping your arms around his middle and squeezing. All the tension you had been feeling before disappeared in an instant as he pulled back and playfully ruffled your hair with a smile. 

"Go get on your plane before you miss it." He said.

"Right." You picked up your bags, slinging one of the straps over your shoulder and starting towards the door of the airport. "Text me when you post the videos!" You called back.

"Text me when you land!" Schlatt replied, watching as you disappeared through the doors. 

The last image you caught of him was him leaning against the side of his car, that soft smile on his face again. 

Inside, the airport was crowded, and you had to push your way through the throng of people, apologizing as you went. Strangely, all the dread and resignation you had been feeling about leaving was set aside for a moment as you relived that hug again and again - the feeling of his arms around you and the warm feeling of his sweatshirt against your cheek.

The fact that you were going home caught up to you again in the middle of a daydream and you closed your eyes, wishing the warm fuzzy feelings away again - you were only going to make yourself more upset when you got home.