twenty nine.

29

AMBUSH

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

The Gryffons had waited for the signal (which was the flashing of Edmund's torch from England - the very torch that he had to explain to all of the Narnians and Alexandra and Caspian) before they descended down from the cover of the night clouds and toward Castle of Caspian. The magnificent Narnians dropped what they had been carrying - which just so happened to be Susan, Alex, Peter, Caspian and Trumpkin.

They all landed with ease and their weapons in hand. Alexandra let her axe fly just as her feet hit the stone of the castle walls and knocked a Telmarine solider down the side of the wall and Peter took down another with his blade. They both shared a curt nod which had been their first interaction in a while.

"Thank you," Alex smiled as she passed the rope to Susan for her to tie on the bricks so that she, Peter and Caspian could all climb down the side of the castle and into the office of Caspian's professor.

Caspian pushed open the window and followed Alex into the room, Peter right behind them. She took in the familiar appearance of the room where she had been woken up in. Her glass box was sealed once more and still contained the bed of Drowsy Pudina flowers that had kept her asleep for 1300 years. The glass box looked to be the only thing tucked away neatly, the rest of his office was covered in paper and books messily thrown around.

Alex felt Susan's hand on her shoulder which drew her away from her staring at the flowers. They both smiled at each other before she weakly smiled to Trumpkin.

"I have to find him," Caspian spoke, holding his professor's spectacles in his hand and running his finger over the lens.

"You don't have time," Peter shook his head, "You need to get the gate open."

"You wouldn't be here without him and neither would I. Alexandra wouldn't be here without him," Caspian thrust his hand in the girl's direction hoping it would change Peter's mind.

Peter seemed to think about it before his sister spoke up, "You, Alex and I can deal with Miraz."

"Can you still get the gate open in time?" Alex asked and waited for Caspian's nod, "Fine, then we go our separate ways, for now. And Caspian, try to find Ernest too."

Trumpkin and Caspian quietly left the office. The other three were left in silence as they tried to remember the directions that Caspian had told them moments before they left Aslan's How.

"Ready?" Peter asked the two girls.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Susan replied, turning to Alex.

"Always," she said.

The group of three made their way through the halls of the castle as silently as they could, taking out as many Telmarines as they needed to whilst making as little noise possible. They soon found themselves at the door to Miraz's quarters and strangely they could hear voices on the other side of the door. One of the voices sounded like... Caspian?

Alex kicked the door down to see Caspian holding the sword at his uncle's throat and Prunaprismia, Miraz's wife, aiming a crossbow at her nephew.

"Put the sword down, Caspian, I don't want to have to do this," Prunaprismia threatened.

"Whereas it would be my genuine pleasure," Alex said, holding her axe towards the woman and staring at her behind the handle.

Caspian turned for only a fraction of a second to see who had entered the room whereas his aunt kept directing her weapon between Caspian and the trio who had just entered the room.