five.

05

DROWNING

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Still in Peter's grasp, Alexandra watched as Beaver used his tail to test out the glacier by tapping it firmly and stumbling backwards on the ice, noticing that the frost would stumble below his feet. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" his wife asked with narrowed eyes and an accusation claw pointing his way.

"Well you never know which meal will be your last," Mr Beaver replied as Peter finally let go of Alex's hands that he found to be as cold as the ice around them, it was a miracle that she hadn't frozen to death, "Especially with your cooking."

The grey-eyed girl let her boot step back onto the iceberg with Peter behind her, his hands wrapped around Lucy's who also held onto Susan. The ice below them started to shift but there was nothing that they could do about it. They had to try.

"If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan muttered from the back of the line, Alex could hear the sarcastic tone within the words.

"Mum's not here," Peter remarked bluntly, perhaps a little too bluntly.

Lexi's eyes shifted to the frozen waterfall where she could see the pack of wolves running above them, a curse almost left her lips but she didn't let it. "Oh no," Lucy whined and slipped into Peter's embrace at the sight of the wolves.

"Run!"

"Hurry!"

They didn't make it as far as they hoped they would before the wolves jumped down the slope near the waterfall, landing not too far from Beaver with their teeth baring in a snarl and a threatening growl emitting from their jaws. Susan turned around to see that more wolves trapped them in from the other side, there were sounds of a struggle as a wolf pinned Beaver down with its teeth.

"No!"

"Peter!" Lucy shrieked at the sight.

Maugrim stepped closer to the group. His body was low to the ground as if he was ready to pounce at any given second, Peter and Alexandra both pulled out their weapons which only made the wolf even angrier. "Put that down, boy," he spat before facing Alex, "You too, princess. Someone could get hurt."

"Don't worry about me," Beaver groaned and tried to escape the grip from the wolf but failed miserably, "Run him through!"

"Leave now while you can and hand over Alexandra and your brother can leave with you," Maugrim offered whilst taking more stealthy steps towards the others, not even glancing to Alexandra as he kept his eyes on Peter.

"Stop, Peter!" Susan shouted and tried to gain her brother's attention but Peter tried his hardest to ignore her, "Maybe we should listen to him!"

A low chuckle left the wolf, "Smart girl."

The axe in Alexandra's hand seemed to pulsate in her palm which made the human think back to what Father Christmas had said merely a few hours ago, 'No matter how far that axe may fly, it will always join your side once again'.

"Don't listen to him! Kill him, kill him now!" Beaver struggled once more.

"Oh come on, this isn't your war," Maugrim stated and neared the children with a few more steps, Alex's axe pointing at him as if to warn him away.

A sneer left her lips, "It might not be their fight, but it's mine."

"As long as the Witch has her wand, Alexandra, you are her slave," he glared to the white-haired girl who looked just like the Witch when she was many years younger, "All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go."