twenty four.

24

THE REASON

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Caspian and Alex had set off from the Badger's home and journeyed on through the woods. The silence between them was deafening as none of them had anything to say or even how to say it, especially after Caspian had just learned about the real Narnia.

The silence between them was cut short with the snap of twigs following them, at first they ignored it but the noise became too prominent to ignore. The rustling got much louder and much closer than it used to be, both the Prince and the Knight shared a glance before he spoke up.

"We can hear you."

Nikarbrik and Trufflehunter emerged from out of the shadows of the trees reluctantly, with of them being almost just as bad as Caspian was at hiding back at their home.

"I just think we should wait for the Kings and Queens," he tried to tell them, watching carefully as he brought up her old friends, before they both went back to walking on, "Fine! Go then! See if the others will be as understanding!"

The two Narnians started to quarrel once more before Nikabrik started to run after them and shout loudly to emphasise his opinion, "Or maybe I'll come with you. I want to see you explain things to the minotaurs.

"That's what Alexandra is for," Caspian told him before repeating the word in his head, "Minotaurs? They're real?"

Trufflehunter neared the two with a small smile, "And very bad tempered."

"Yeah, not to mention huge," the dwarf added and followed in pursuit.

"Not that big," Alex shrugged nonchalantly and set back on their journey with the Prince and two Narnians following after her as if their life depended on it, "And I talk from experience."

Caspian kept on the topic of all the mystical creatures that Cornelius had told him about in secret. The images of dryads, gryphons, satyrs and cyclops filled his mind, but one creature stood out in his mind. The Regals.

"What about centaurs? Do they still exits?" he asked and pushed leaves from his face, Alex listened on intently.

Alex smiled at the thought of General Oreius and all the times they would end up training the future Narnian army from sunrise to sunset. All the times that they would watch from the sidelines as their soldiers would spar and fail miserably.

"Well, the centaurs will probably fight your side," Trufflehunter pondered before turning, "But there's no telling what the others will do."

Another question left Caspian's lips, one that even Alexandra hadn't thought of yet. "What about Aslan?"

Usually upon hearing or saying Aslan's name she would feel such a warm delight full her chest, the familiarity of the sun and the smell of the salted sea. But now she realised that it brought dread; her chest aching and her head ringing.

The three words were powerful enough to make the two Narnians stop in their path and turn to face the others who had slowed down behind them. "How do you know so much about us?"

"Stories."

"Wait a minute, your father told you stories about Narnia?" the beaver asked as he didn't continue to walk yet.

"No, my professor, he..." Caspian stopped his train of thought and shook his head before they all started walking once more, "Listen, I'm sorry. These are not the kind of questions you should be asking."