twenty.

20

PASSING YEARS

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

As the years passed, it grew harder and harder for each Pevensie to visit the unconscious body of Alexandra Dawson. It had been a total of six years since her last breath and her eyes closed for the last time; now she was nothing but a body held within a glass box filled with nothing but Drowsy Pudina flowers and her silver axe that never left her side at all - not even in her 'death'.

None of them knew if they could hear them talking to her or even be aware of their presence but talking to the girl and spilling out all their troubles is what made them feel human. It probably wasn't healthy for them to keep hold of her for so long, they needed to grieve her absence but instead, they all pushed it aside and continued on with their lives with occasional visits to the room where she slept.

Today was one of those days.

Susan was the first to walk into the room with a bouquet of fresh roses and lilies cradled in her arms like a baby, "Morning, Alex," she smiled and looked into the glass to see the untouched body of her friend.

Even after all those years she still looked the same, frozen in time and life. Her white hair had been neatly curled and braided the way that she did every morning and Susan had clothed her in the white dress that she had worn to the coronation; even laying the axe in her hands and over her chest so that she wasn't without it when she woke. The last detail that Susan was adamant on adding was the silver and purple locket around her neck, resting ever so gently in the centre of her chest.

The Pevensie girl changed out the dying flowers in the vase by the window that overlooked the ocean with the fresh ones in her hands before taking the seat next to her friend, "I miss you much too much. I still hope that one day when we sit at the table for breakfast that I will see you; walking in and surprising us all with those green eyes that we love so much, but you never do and you never will."

A tear slipped past her eyes as she spoke, "I think the hardest part of this is not that we won't ever hear your voice again but what it is doing to Peter. He often lays awake at night or locks himself away for days at a time. He has lost weight, sleep and trust from the Narnians. Nor Edmund, Lucy or I know what will happen to him. We fear the worst. So, if you can hear me, please, just please, work on getting better. Not for me but for my brother, I've lost one friend and I don't think I could lose a brother. I'll see you tomorrow, Alex."

Susan pulled her dark hair out of her face before wiping her eyes to make it appear as if she hadn't been crying, she needed to keep it together for her siblings and for her country.

Edmund was next, his dark hair now drooped down to his shoulders and his voice had become significantly deeper than what she remembered. He just knew that if she could hear it then she would make a snarky remark about it, he almost craved to hear her say something at all.

"Hi," he whispered out as he stared at the unmoving body, every so often she would take a deep breath but it was only once or twice a minute and it was too frightening to keep track of, "I don't know if you can hear me at all, or if you have been listening to us for these years, but I regret it all. All of it. I wished it had happened differently. If only I had stepped up quicker in the battle then Jadis wouldn't have put the wand to your heart and poured all the magic into you. If she hadn't then you would still be at our side and well... we would have you. I'm not saying that you blame me for it, even Lucy says it wasn't my fault, but why do I feel this way? Why do I feel as if ever since I have arrived that I am the only reason for everything bad or remotely troubling? I just want it all to stop, all of it."