twenty three.

23

JUST GRASS AND SKY

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

The three continued in light conversation between them as they ate. Both Narnians seemed so interested in what Alexandra had to say and asked plenty of questions about both the 100 Year Long Winter and the Golden Age.

"This bread is so stale," the dwarf, who she had learned was called Nikabrik, commented and banged the bread on the table to hear a hollow noise emit from it.

Alex contained her laughs and held in her own comment that she had prepared.

"I'll just give him the soup," Trufflehunter, the talking beaver, thought out loud and poured a large bowl of soup for Caspian, "He should be coming around soon."

Nikabrik scoffed and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, "I don't think I hit him hard enough."

"Nikabrik, he's just a boy," his friend corrected him.

"He's been out for hours, I think you did hit him hard enough," Alex scorned and rubbed her temple out of annoyance of their bickering. For some reason, Nikabrik and Trufflehunter reminded her of how Mr and Mrs Beaver would quarrel and dispute - like a married couple.

"He's a Telmarine, not some lost puppy. You said you were going to get rid of him."

Alex raised a brow at those words, she hadn't discussed getting rid of Caspian at all and she wouldn't allow it. The two Narnians must have debated it whilst she left the home to collect some wood for the fire that she currently sat by.

After 1302 years, all she wanted was to feel the heat of firewood burning. And she did. One of the things that she thought would have stayed the same was her inability to feel temperature, but even now she could feel the flames of the fire against her palms and the chill of the night riding up her spine.

"No, I said I'd take care of him," Trufflehunter demanded as he started to near the bedroom where Alex could see Caspian now attempting to hide behind the wooden walls, very badly she thought, "We can't kill him now. I just bandaged his head. It would be like murdering a guest."

"What? Am I after him?" Alex asked and directed her eyes to her axe that still lay on the table beside the dwarf who had slowly inched closer and closer to it over time.

He turned to face the girl with a scowl before speaking up, "How do you think his friends are treating their guests?"

"Are we going to punish him for the crimes of his ancestors and his people? This isn't the Narnia that I knew," she chucked into the conversation and continued to let the flames dry the edges of her skirt that was still slightly damp from the river. She debated asking them for any clothes but knew they wouldn't fit.

Trufflehunter agreed with her ever so slightly, "Trumpkin knew what he was doing. It's not the boy's fault."

That's when Caspian took his chance; he jumped out from behind the wall and went for his sword for protecting, not caring that he barged into the beaver as he did so. Yet, Nikabrik beat him to it which left the Prince to take a fire poker from beside Alex as she watched it all unfold from the sidelines, ready to interject him needed.

"Stop! Stop!" Trufflehunter shouted to stop their fighting as the fire poker and sword slashed against each other.

Alexandra groaned and opened her palm, all three watching as the axe flew into her open hand and held it between them. The fighting halted as they watched her eyes glaze over with the faintest tinge of blue for the smallest split of a second before resulting to their grey.