twenty two.

22

SECLUDED SECRETS

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Caspian and Alex raced through the grounds of Castle of Caspian; not caring who or what they knocked over in their path as various shouts and orders echoed around them. Soon enough, fireworks started to explode in a fury of colours and designs above their heads. The sounds were too loud for her fragile ears and she fought the urge to cover her ears.

If she had covered them, she would have missed the various Telmarines shouting about the new baby boy that Prunaprismia had blessed the Lord Miraz with. The occasion would have been merry and bright, a festivity to be celebrated. But the terror and fear that it brought caused them to ride off once more.

"We've got company," Alexandra told him as a small armada of Telmarines on horseback followed over the drawbridge after them. As a response, Caspian tightened his grip on the reigns and leaned the heels in closer on Destrier. 

"Don't you have a magic axe?" Caspian cried out as they continued to race through the forests on Destrier, Caspian's horse that resembled that of Alex's own horse back in the Golden Reign of the Pevensie Kings and Queens.

Alexandra tightened her grip around the Prince's waist. "It isn't magical, it's loyal. There's a difference," she turned her head to see a single rider reaching faster speeds than his friends and catching up to them, so the girl reached one hand up into the sky which confused the boy, "It was left in the castle, give it a little time."

Caspian was not convinced, not one bit. That was until the rider got even closer than he was before, almost reaching up to the two on Destrier.

"Can't you hurry-" he was about to say to the girl clinging on behind him but was cut off as a loud pained yelp left the lips of the soldier behind him; what he couldn't see was the silver of the axe smashing through the glass window of Cornelius' office and then flying through the sky directly to the Crimson Knight's hand, taking the rider off his horse in the process.

"You were saying?" she asked him sarcastically as she inspected the hilt of her weapon.

Having it back in her hand made her feel complete, just like wearing her armour had made her feel during the battle. The axe was apart of her, it always would be. To go without it would be a sin to her, it was practically neglect. Thought she had just told Caspian that the weapon was not magic, she knew it was. Nothing mundane would make her feel that way; complete. 

As they neared the tree line for the forest, Alex noticed how each and every of the soldiers stayed back and refused to enter. Glozelle stared at his men angrily, "Which of you superstitious, old women wants to spend the night in a cell?"

Meanwhile, already deep within the forest, Destrier carried the two much deeper through the trees. The knight had no ideas as to why he didn't just ask the trees for the fastest route. Their journey involved hills, forests and even when they were faced with deep water to ride through, they didn't give up.

The water started to rise up to the horse's head as he whined out. Both riders felt the water soaking their shoes and clothing. Alexandra's dress started to weigh her down and she silently cursed Susan for not putting her in something more suitable, even if the white of her dress reminded her of one of the best days in her life - the coronation. 

It wasn't long until they were back in the cover of the trees and darting through the bark and leaves. Neither of them saw the branch hanging much lower than the others, if they would then they could have avoided it.