four.

04

A GIFT

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

It had been well over a few hours since nightfall had left them and they were back on their feet and tracking over the vast lands. Lucy currently strolled at Alex's side, hand in hand, as they looked down to the frozen river that they had just talked about. The youngest human ran to the side where she saw a purple flower sticking through the snow.

"Lucy! No!" Alexandra shouted over and rushed to her side, the others watched in shock at the girl's outburst, Lucy looked up sadly, "These aren't just any flowers, this is a Drowsy Pudina. One sniff of this flower and you'll fall asleep for a hundred years, if not more."

Lucy backed away from the flower and into Peter's legs who looked at Alexandra as she kneeled next to the purple buds of the blossom. The girl covered it with snow so that any other unsuspecting Narnian wouldn't be fooled by the sweet colours and alluring aroma that radiated from the pollen. She didn't dare risk pulling to flower up, more would just sprout in its place.

And they were off again. The group of six, that consisted of four humans and the two beavers, left their prints on the snow that had set on the frozen lake that had been that way for exactly one hundred years. Alexandra walked away ahead of the group, she felt like the only one that could keep up with the strenuous walking in the weather. The cold didn't nip at her skin in the same way it froze the others.

"Come on, humans! While we are young," Mr Beaver shouted behind him at the three Pevensie children that seemed to take much longer to walk than the rest. The white-haired girl even heard the children mumble between them as Peter picked his youngest sister on his back to keep up with them.

The ice below them seemed to shake as if something was banging on the surface, Alex swivelled her body to look behind her as her grey eyes set on what appeared to be a carriage speeding their way. But she didn't feel the ice pulling in her chest, the type that she would feel whenever the Witch close to her.

"No! Behind you! it's her!" Mrs Beaver screamed at the three children who gasped out and picked up their speed dramatically and sprint even faster along to the treeline where they would be able to hide.

"Run! Run!" the beavers yelled in unison.

"I am running!" Lexi replied and made it to the tree line first before finding a ledge that would give them shelter, "Here!"

"Inside! Dive! Dive!" Mr Beaver shouted and fought the urge to push Peter down under the ledge so that they could all hide.

She pulled Peter by the sleeve of his jacket so that he would hurry up faster, she feared what the White Witch would do if they found the children but also what she would do to the grey-eyed girl for going against her wishes, "Quick! Quick, quick, quick!"

Above them, they could all hear the sleigh slow to a stop and the bells stop jingling to a complete silence around them. Not even the wind dared to make a sound. All pairs of eyes landed in front of them to where they could see a shadow reflecting onto the mound of snow, some of the snow dropping from the ledge as there was a movement from above. It all stopped.

They could only watch and wait as the shadow retreated, Alex even found her hand going to her hip where her sword would often be resting, finding a handful of her shirt instead. She should have grabbed her sword when she left the castle, "Maybe she's gone," Lucy broke the silence with a whisper.

"I suppose I'll go look," Petter offered and shifted as if ready to move but was stopped by Alexandra's hand she pushed his chest backwards.

"And what good would that do Narnia?" she asked with a brow raising.