seven.

"And before we wrap up today, I wanna talk about the midterm," Mekhi's creative writing professor spoke

"And before we wrap up today, I wanna talk about the midterm," Mekhi's creative writing professor spoke. "I'm not doing an exam, because honestly—I don't wanna grade it," she continued, making the students laugh.

Khi liked this class. He needed another elective this semester, and he picked this one randomly, knowing he'd never written anything a day in his life. He took French too, but he'd been taking that since middle school, and he thought of it as required at this point, he was pretty good at it, at least he thought so.

"So basically, the midterms gonna be a paper. I want y'all to write about someone you think has had the, biggest impact on your life so far—but no cop outs like your mom," she clarified and he heard some groans, knowing that's what half the class would write even if they couldn't stand their mothers.

"Write about them as something represented in the world. Nature, sports, science—whatever. I want you to think hard about someone who is important to you and what they mean to you, and express it through imagery," she explained, and immediately Mekhi was at a loss.

"The hell this lady talkin' bout," he huffed. He found his professor to be a tad eccentric, clearly.

"Obviously, you can't write the entire paper that way, but introduced the person as their representation, and explain. I'll post the full instructions on blackboard, y'all look confused," she chuckled and Khi was surely lost.

After class was out, he yawned as he gathered his things, already dreading practice. He only had two classes today, and this was his second, so he was done for the rest of the afternoon. It was only noon, as well, so he had some time to kill before practice at 5.

He practiced a lot, honestly he was tired most of the time. He knew his parents weren't poor or broke, but expecting them to pay full tuition for an HBCU was staggering to him, he wanted to do all he could to ease the blow of the money they already did have to pay, and if football could do it, he'd play until he couldn't.

"Is that—hey Mekhi!" he heard from behind him, as he was leaving the room. Briefly glancing over his shoulder, he saw Amber, one of Sakari's friends waving. "I didn't even know you had this class,"

"Oh, wassup? Yeah I sit way back there," he nodded his head to the back row where only about three other students sat.

"Makes sense," she nodded, walking behind him out of the door. "You know who gon be your subject for this lil paper?" she wondered.

"Absolutely not," he chuckled. "You?"

"No," she giggled. "When you figure it out let me know so I can steal your idea," she said and he laughed, nodding.

They parted ways after that, and Khi checked his phone, seeing his mom texted him, which made him smile. He was a mama's boy to the core, he adored his mother. She understood him and supported him, she always made sure to back any decision he wanted to make with his life. Khi could tell her right now he wanted to quit football and she'd accept it before asking why.