twenty-nine.

After what felt like the longest drive yet, and a few days of rest between them, Sakari and Mekhi were back to their normal Texas routine

After what felt like the longest drive yet, and a few days of rest between them, Sakari and Mekhi were back to their normal Texas routine. They'd just gotten back from walking the kids to the bus and were now getting ready to take Tyree to daycare.

"It's gonna be so weird not having my fatman at home with me all day," Kari pouted, as Khi buckled him in properly. "Sissa is gonna miss you stinky,"

"Sakari his school is ten minutes away, we can go get him early if you feel so empty without your son," Khi chuckled.

"Please believe me, we will," she immediately replied, as they both got in the front seat after handing him a teething cracker. "But I'm glad he's in school, my grandmother needed a break after watching us all for so long—and Ty needs baby friends. All he got is sisters. And you," she noted.

They played music softly in the background as they made the journey to Tyree's early learning center. This summer would be way different than Sakari was used to, actually. The younger girls were in camp this summer, and Semaja being 17 didn't need her big sister's supervision anymore.

"It's so weird, I feel like an empty nester," she giggled, stopping at a red light, momentarily checher rear view mirror to look at her brother.

"Well...I mean you are," Khi shrugged. "You been taking care of these kids since you was 'bout 10," he noted. "Does it feel good?" he wondered. Khi was always around when Sakari was doing her duties but he wasn't an older brother, really. He had no siblings and sometimes was envious of Kari's big family. But he also remembered when she'd miss certain things because of the kids, or she insisted that her mom got some more sleep, even if she missed her own to watch Ty when he didn't sleep through the night and woke up hour after hour.

"I mean...yes and no. I miss my siblings but I don't miss being a teen mom basically. I never really blamed mama and daddy for having so many children, but I do wish that these promotions and raises came when we were younger. The girls and I never went without but of course with four daughters and a little baby, things go wrong, money gets tight no matter how much you save—and they tried. They did, I watched. I been around since my mama and daddy was 19," she reflected. "I just wish everything they had now, we had then,"

Recently, it seemed like blessing were being showered over the Washington home. Dre and Tamera both either had a promotion or a significant raise, which is what helped get Sakari her car—which they were currently in. They were able to put the girls in summer camp, pay ahead on Kari's tuition and put aside prom money for Semaja as well as enrolling Tyree in a full time daycare.

"I get it," he nodded. "Well enjoy your child free summer, you deserve it," he chuckled.

"I'm sure I will, I can't be bored when you always wanna take me outside," she smarted. Everyone knew Kari was the homebody of the pair, and Mekhi would go outside at the drop of a hat—and as best friends, that meant he made her go outside too.