twenty-six.

Khi lay lazily in bed, rubbing Kari's back as she slept for the third time that morning

Khi lay lazily in bed, rubbing Kari's back as she slept for the third time that morning. She was sore and tired—which he expected. He didn't wanna force her out of bed, because her mood would be terrible on top of her body hurting. He was a little sore too—but he knew it wouldn't be as bas as her.

"Bubba?" she muttered against his chest.

"Hmm?" he hummed, patting her back now. "What's the matter?" he asked.

"I'm hungry," she said simply. "Did anyone cook?" she asked refusing to raise her head. Instead, she snuggled deeper into his embrace, making him smile.

"Mmm no, nobody texted me. They might be sleep too, they was out late last night," he said. Thankfully, their friends had decided when the two left the night prior that they'd go to the beach. According to Trae's text that morning, they also went to waffle house and back to the beach again, where Dontae ended up dozing off, and then they all hid, pretending like they left him there.

By this time, Khi and Kari were both knocked out sleeping, but he was glad they had a good time together.

"Oh okay," she nodded, seemingly giving up on the idea of eating. That's how he knew she was really tired—she was never one to give up on some food. "You sleepy still?"

"No mama," he chuckled. "I been up. But if you tired we can stay here," he suggested. He loved cuddling with his girlfriend, more than most things. Weirdly enough, it was one of the few times of the day where he he didn't feel the compulsion to get up and do a million other things. He was very calm and mild when she was in his arms.

Even as a kid, after school where Khi would usually be full of energy, if Sakari wanted to take a nap he was holding her hand while she slept and he did not move, much to his parents amazement. If Kari finished all her dinner, there he was doing his best to finish too, even though on most days his mom had to bargain with him to attempt to finish a plate.

Nobody really understood it, but nobody questioned it either because it was obvious the balance that they brought each other, especially as they started to grow.

"Bub," she mumbled again and he tried not to laugh because she sounded drunk.

"Yes, baby?"

"I am very hungry," she muttered and he laughed that time. "Did I say that already? I'm sorry," she chuckled tiredly.

He didn't mind at all, clearly.

After another few minutes she was deeply sleeping again, so he shimmied her down to the mattress and tucked her in securely, pressing a kiss to her head before grabbing a shirt and heading upstairs.

Once he reached the kitchen, he saw Trae yawning, staring at the open refrigerator.

"I know you ain't running mama Crystal bill up," he spoke, making Trae jump.