twelve.

Their flight had no layovers, so within three hours of takeoff, Sakari and Mekhi were landing in Houston, their fathers waiting on them

"Khi," she said, catching his attention as they exited their gate, on their way out to look for Dre and Shemar. "You gonna tell—"

"No," he immediately shook his head. "I can't do that," he said.

"Khi, you know uncle Dre and my daddy wouldn't judge you. Your mama either, I just want you to be comfortable, you can't be holding this in all weekend," he said.

"Kari I can't. What am I supposed to say? Dad, Unc, I almost got—" he paused, still not being able to say it. "I can't do it, not right now Sakari and please don't say anything to anybody," he stopped walking to look at her.

"I-I—okay," she sighed.

"Swear,"

"I swear, Khi," she said. After a moment, he nodded, and they continued their walk. She knew he could put somewhat of a façade, she was just wondering how long it'd be before his façade broke and he was a mess.

Then there was her. She was disappointed in herself for believing after all these years he would do something that bad and hurt her so deep. She didn't know what else to believe though, so a part of her couldn't stay too mad at her. For now, she'd place her focus on making sure he didn't crack.

She already knew she could put up a mean front. He on the other hand was a little shaky.

"Daddy!" she grinned, already starting. "Hi old man!" she threw her arms around her dad, squeezing him tightly.

"Hey baby girl," he chuckled, hugging her back. She glanced over and saw Khi and her uncle Dre sharing a hug. "How are you, Tootie?"

"I'm doing okay, dad, just tired from all this schoolwork and ready to see my granddad," she cheesed, making him laugh. "Ahem, hello Uncle," she poked his side, making him flinch, because she knew he was ticklish.

"Hello Tootie," he chuckled before wrapping her up in a hug, "You doing good? This knucklehead taking good care of you?" he jerked his thumb over to Khi, who was smiling slightly talking to her father.

"Now Uncle Dre, you know I take care of him," she giggled. "Let's not act brand new,"

Although she was kidding with him, there was some truth to his statement and hers. When they were away from their family, states away at school, they took care of each other. Although to outsiders, including their own friends, it probably looked like she took care of him.

But, ever since middle school Khi took great care of her. He would move a mountain if it meant Sakari would be more comfortable. He did everything he could to make the harsh world around her a softer place, if only by his presence in her life, and he made a big difference. She didn't even notice sometimes the things that he did.