twenty-eight.

"I don't know, mama

"I don't know, mama. I made it through finals okay, I think maybe I should just hold off," Khi shrugged. He sat on a FaceTime call with his mother as she was on her lunch break and he just got finished at the library.

"If that's what you wanna do baby, that's okay with me and daddy. I can just cancel your doctors appointment, okay?" she offered and he nodded. "Okay. How's everything else? You excited for summer vacation?" she grinned and he did as well.

He always enjoyed his summers—as this would be his second vacation after starting college he didn't see it as an exception, but something to look forward to especially after all the stress he'd been under and the hellish semester it'd been in regards to his mental health. He couldn't wait to just laze around and spend all his time with his girlfriend.

"Of course. Are we going on vacation this year?" he wondered, and his mother couldn't hide her grin if she tried—and for a moment she did try. "I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled.

"Stop! It was supposed to be a surprise, Pop," she whined loudly, not at all caring that she was at work in her cubicle. "Don't tell Tootie," she frowned.

"That's your fault, ma. Now tell me or I'll tell her," he smirked and she sucked her teeth, knowing he would.

Usually, he and his parents went on a vacation every summer, he'd been in and out of the country, with his immediate and extended family multiple times, so he was eager to know the details of the vacation his mother was planning this year.

His father simply gave her his part of the money, he had no patience for planning and he trusted his wife to make good decisions. Plus, the one year he did try to plan—without Tam, he ended up in Detroit instead of Barbados because his dad forgot to buy tickets. Safe to say he was never trusted again.

"Okay, fine! It's a surprise for Tete Meeka too, so do not tell Tootie or I swear to God, little boy—"

"Mama!" he laughed. "I won't!"

"Mhm. Well anyway, you know she's my best friend and she's just been working so hard, and the kids don't raise themselves, my poor baby is so tired," she pouted, Khi nodding along.

Better than most, Khi knew his Aunt Tamika was a very hard worker. Since he was a kid, he remembered hearing her leave home early and not coming home till late from her shifts at the hospital. Shemar worked in construction, and he often did the same—which is why they relied so heavily on Sakari as she became older and mature.

Even without the kids—life was expensive and the fact that they had Sakari so young was a bit of a stuttered step in their adulthood.

"Anyway, before I cry," she waved her hand, and Khi laughed at her. "We—Me and Uncle Mar, to surprise her this year, so we're all going to Barbados!" she squealed.

"For real this time?" he raised his eyebrows, immediately reminded of his father's ticket fiasco two years ago.

"Chile I didn't let your daddy nowhere near it,"