xvii.

(A/n: I am so sorry I haven't been active for a long time! The explanation is on my other story, Dingus, and is the second a/n chapter! I'm probably gonna spam a load of chapters, hope that's okay! Love you guys xx)

Luther woke up by the alarm blaring 09:18. He yawned and got up out of his bed. He hit his head on the low hanging airplane. He groaned. He then pulled on the green trench-coat he always wore and walked out of his room. He looked down the narrow corridor and swore under his breath. A creak of the floorboards in Allison's room caught his attention. He turned into Allison's room and saw her packing her clothes into a suitcase.

"Hey," she said softly.

"You know, I've had the same routine for four years. Now I'm back down here, I'm not quite sure what to do with myself," he said.

"I know the feeling," she said, chuckling lightly.

"You must be really eager to see Claire, huh?"

"I didn't think it was possible to miss a person this much," she replied, folding a pair of trousers and placing them into the suitcase. "You know, I'd love for you to meet her one day." Allison stepped away from packing and walked closer to Luther.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. Why not?"

"I mean... does she even know about me?"

"Of course she does," she said, a bit shocked.

"I'm surprised you told her. It's just... after you left, it seemed like you wanted to forget this place."

"This place, yes. But not you." Allison paused. "You know, when she was little, I used to read her stories about the moon. Tell her that her uncle was up there, protecting us from harm." She smiled widely, looking up at the ceiling slightly.

Luther smiled goofily. "Really?"

"Oh, yeah. She always wanted tales about Spaceboy. You were her own personal superhero."

Luther's grin widened then dropped. "Dad's monocle is still missing. I should... get back to that."

Allison sighed. "Don't do this," she said, her tone much different.

"Do what?"

"Don't make Dad's death a mission."

When Luther didn't respond, Allison walked out of her room, annoyed that when they started to bond and moved a step forward, Luther went two steps backwards.

*

Klaus woke up after being on the sofa in his underwear, the voices of the dead haunting him and teasing him. Calling out his name so he couldn't rest no matter what.

"You know you talk in your sleep?" Ben asked from the sofa as he read a book, not looking up at his brother. Klaus ignored him and got up, rummaging through his coat pockets, hoping to find drugs. He was unsuccessful. "There's no point," Ben's ghost said, his tone slightly annoyed but trying to help. "You ran out of drugs yesterday."

"Shut your piehole, Ben," Klaus said starkly. "Said with love," he added softly, blowing a kiss in Ben's direction when he realised how harsh he sounded.

"Here's a crazy idea. Why don't you start your day with a glass of orange juice or... some eggs?" he asked, desperate for his brother to get off drugs once and for all.

"Can't smoke eggs," Klaus said quietly and stubbornly, lighting a cigarette with his leg propped on the table. He walked over to the vast mahogany cupboard behind Ben and rummaged through it. "One of these has got to be gold-plated, right?" Pogo walked in as Klaus was looking through the cabinets for something to pawn. He coughed to catch his attention. "Christ on a cracker!" Klaus exclaimed in shock, not expecting to be disturbed from the now disrupted silence.

"My apologies, Master Klaus. I have a query," the monkey said, looking at the half-naked man in front of him. "Items have been going missing recently. In particular, an ornate box with pearl inlay."

"Really?" Ben asked, turning his body to Klaus. He wasn't really surprised that Klaus had stolen it; he always did stuff like this, but he thought that he would at least know better by now.

"Really?" Klaus repeated, more sarcastically.

"Does one have any idea where it went?" Pogo continued.

Yesterday...

Once out of the room, Klaus pulled the ornate box out of his trousers and kissed it. He rushed to the alley at the side of the large house and emptied the contents after jamming the lock open. The contents included one red notebook with the initials R.H. embossed in gold. Klaus rushed to a pawn shop and quickly exchanged it for money. He held a wad of cash in his hands and shoved it down his trousers. He then rushed to a local drug dealer and exchanged the cash for drugs, kissing the small packet gratefully.

"No. Sorry," Klaus said, no unsympathetic tone in his voice.

"Liar," Ben said.

"Drop dead," he retorted.

"Low blow."

"Excuse me?" Pogo asked, thinking Klaus was talking to him as he couldn't see Ben's ghost.

"Not you," Klaus said, rushing after Pogo. "There's just a lot of memories coming up. A lot of good memories. Well, not good times. Really awful, dark, depressing times."

Pogo ignored Klaus. "The contents of that box were... invaluable. If one should find its way back here, their actions may be forgiven and consequences ignored."

"Lucky bastard."

"Indeed," Pogo said and walked away.