xix.

Five stood inside Meritech's marble lobby, the eyeball in his hand. He walked over to the reception area, a staff member already there talking to the receptionist.

"I need to return this eye to its rightful owner," Five interrupted the pair.

"Aw, what a thoughtful young man," the receptionist smiled.

"Yeah, look up the name for me, would you?"

"I'm sorry, all the patients details are strictly confidential. That means we can't tell you," the staff member said.

"Yeah, I know what it means."

"What I can do though, is to take that eye off your hands."

"You're not touching this eye," Five said aggressively.

"Where did you find it?" the man asked.

"Why do you care?" After seeing the shocked expression on the man's face, Five quickly searched his brain for a believable lie. "At a playground, actually. Must've just," he clicked his tongue, "popped out." He gave a small smile.

"Well, you seem like a reasonable young man. Maybe listen..." The man trailed off.

Five grabbed the man's lapels of his white lab coat and pulled him close to his face. "No, you listen to me, asshole. I've been through shit you couldn't even comprehend to get this eye. So, if you give me the information, I'll be on my merry way." Five paused before saying in a much more aggressive tone, "And if you call me 'young man' one more time, I'm going to put your head through that damn wall."

"Call security," the man told the receptionist meekly.

"Yeah," she said, barely above a whisper.

Five sensed his defeat and roughly let the man go, walking out of the building.