xvi.

Evelyn woke from her nightmare screaming. She sat up, knees pressed to her chest and her head on her knees. She stayed there for a while, convincing herself that the nightmare wasn't true. But it was. The nightmare was that she was in the apocalypse. No, that wasn't it. She had caused the apocalypse. She had killed her friends, her family. Everyone.

She sniffed and pulled her head away from her knees. She put her hands on her head instead, her fingers pulling her hair. In times like these, Anna would comfort her and tell her it was okay. But that luxury was long gone.

Evelyn checked her phone for the time. It was six in the morning. She wiped her tears and started to train.

*

The time was eight o'clock. Evelyn wiped the sweat from her brow and walked into her bathroom. She had a shower and got changed. She put on a black lace crop top which would have provided more coverage if it were a bra. She had light blue ripped skinny jeans on, knee-high black boots and she pulled a black leather jacket over the top. She went to work on her make-up. She put smoky eyeshadow on, concealer for her under-eyes, light foundation, white highlighter and nude matte lipstick. She pulled her waist-length hair into a high ponytail, leaving two strands at the front to frame her face.

She looked at herself in the mirror, turning her head to see what she looked like at different angles. Once she was satisfied, she picked up her keys and walked to the door to get breakfast. But, before she did, she placed a small pill in her mouth and swallowed.

*

"You look like a slut," her friend, Noah, said as Evelyn walked closer.

"Love you too," Evelyn replied, kissing his cheeks in greeting. She pulled out of the kiss and put her hands on his shoulders to see him properly. "I haven't seen you in so long!" She drew her arms closer to her and pulled him into a hug.

"Me neither. Ignore the last comment, you look amazing."

Evelyn moved out of the hug and laughed at her best friend. "You do too. I love that top."

He had a black Led Zeppelin shirt on. Noah smiled at Evelyn. His brown eyes trailed down her body to her exposed stomach. "Nice six-pack. How much have you been working out? What's your secret?"

"Thanks. If you really want to look like me, you've got to be really sleep-deprived because you're unable to sleep with the fear of impending doom, and are driven with the fact that you need to fight another day."

Noah's face soured. "I'm fine like this, thanks. I value my sleep. Plus, I'm a pacifist. These fists are used not for fighting, but for hugging."

Evelyn frowned. "You don't hug with your fists."

"Well, no, but I couldn't think of anything."

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Let's get seated, weirdo."