xxv.

Evelyn was lying on the sofa, her head propped up on a pillow. Her leather jacket was off and Vanya had given her a loose white t-shirt to put on over her crop top. Evelyn's bare body had always made Vanya uncomfortable.

"Are you going to tell me who it is?" Vanya asked.

"I can't. If I do, you'd be in danger."

"Evelyn–"

"No, Vanya. You can't be hurt because of my actions. Besides, I don't know his name. He never told me, saying he was protecting himself. I only know what he looks like and the sound of his voice but I don't even know if that's real."

"You'd tell Klaus though. You tell Klaus everything."

"Klaus is a crackhead. And I tell him everything because he won't be able to remember. Besides, he's not a threat. No-one would believe him anyway."

"You'd tell everyone apart from me. Even Noah."

"That's different. And, between you and me, I wouldn't tell Noah. He's a scrawny little thing."

"Tell the others. They can protect you."

Evelyn scoffed. "They won't believe me. I'm like the female Klaus of the family. Never sober, always joking, never serious, incapable of doing anything properly..."

Vanya realised for the first time how lonely and sad Evelyn must have been. Not even for the past few years, either, but for her entire life. "Well, I'll tell them. They'd believe me, wouldn't they?"

"After what you wrote, they're not willing to trust you for a long time. Sorry about that."

Vanya shook her head. "I should be the one who's sorry. Some things I wrote were... unforgivable to say the least."

"It's okay. You deserved your five minutes of fame."

Vanya frowned. "It's supposed to be fifteen."

"I know but it didn't really last that long."

Vanya sighed. She wished for once someone could just be proud of her, accepting of her. Maybe even acknowledge her of their own accord. It's what she'd wished every birthday until she was eighteen. But, of course, even her birthday wasn't special.

"Look, I gotta go," Evelyn said, sitting up.

"But you haven't even healed," Vanya protested.

"I won't heal for a very long time. Won't even be healed when we all die." Evelyn trailed off and looked around the apartment, clearly uncomfortable by her own comment.

"Have you found anything out yet?" she asked, eager for information.

"Nope. And that's why I got stabbed."

"I don't follow."

Evelyn inhaled deeply and then exhaled loudly through her mouth. "I shouldn't even be telling you this but I was working for someone. He paid me extravagantly to follow you guys and get information. He only got out of prison a few days ago. I told him everything, even about the apocalypse. So, when I went with Five to get information to stop it, he told me to do everything I could possibly do in my power to make sure the apocalypse happens."

Vanya looked at Evelyn suspiciously. "You were spying on us? Why would you do that?"

"Money, purpose. I don't know. After Anna, I just... went a little crazy."

"You're actually going to help cause the apocalypse?"

"God, no. That's why I have this beautiful little thing." Evelyn lightly patted the bandage which covered the stab wound. "I refused. He said it was important... he said it was her destiny."

"Who's destiny?"

"I have no idea. But, one thing's for sure, when I do find out who it is, I will kill them without hesitation."