xxi.

Five stood in his room, looking out of the window. Vanya ran in through the open door.

"Thank God you're here," she said, out of breath.

"Just... needed to think," Five said, turning around to face Vanya.

"Look, last night, I was wrong to be dismissive-"

"Maybe you were right to be. The old man did say time travel could contaminate the mind."

"I used to see someone. A therapist. I could give you her number if you'd like."

Five scoffed at the mention of help. "A therapist," he said as if he couldn't believe it. "I'm fine. I just need some rest. It's been a long time since I've had a good sleep," he replied, his voice soft to match Vanya's.

Vanya nodded and left the small room. Once she'd left, Klaus came crashing out of the wardrobe, followed by Evelyn.

"That was very touching. All that stuff about time and Dad," Klaus said, hands on his chest, his voice slightly sarcastically sympathetic.

"Would you shut up? She'll hear you!"

"I'm moist."

"That's not even a joke. Klaus is always moist," Evelyn clowned.

"Shut up," Klaus said to Evelyn lowly, hitting her on the arm harshly. Evelyn didn't even care that he hit her and showcased a wide grin on her face.

"I thought I asked you to wear something professional," Five said to Klaus, ignoring his siblings' ideas of humour.

"What? This is my nicest outfit." Klaus was wearing a green floral top with pink frills on the edges and his signature leather trousers.

"Let's raid the old man's closet," Five grumbled.

"I think he looks nice," Evelyn said. "I'd wear it."

"Well, you're not going to wear it, are you?" Five spat and walked out of his room, Klaus and Evelyn following. Evelyn gave a small laugh at Five's comment.

"Whatever, as long as I get paid," Klaus said.

"He's getting paid?" Evelyn asked, pointing her finger between Klaus and Five. "Why am I not getting paid?"

Five ignored them both. "Evelyn, go through Mom's wardrobe."

"I'm not changing out of this outfit. My abs have never looked better," she said defiantly before pausing, remembering vaguely what her brother had asked them to do. "So... you want us to be your parents?" Evelyn asked when they were in the hallway.

"Something like that."

"What's our backstory?" Klaus asked, earning a confused look from Five. "Were we really young when we had you?"

"Yeah, he's got a point," Evelyn admitted. "We need to have something to go on." She clicked her fingers in confirmation of her point. "I am hardly ever home and I don't care about you two. Klaus has to look after you and he does a horrible job because he needs me to fulfil his life and give him purpose."

"We met... at the disco," Klaus continued, looking at Evelyn excitedly. "Your mother, that slut, wherever she came from. Oh, my god, the sex was amazing."

"I'm not a slut," Evelyn defended.

"Then why do you dress like one?" Klaus asked provocatively.

"This is the second time today!"

"What a disturbing glimpse it would be to look in those things you two call a brain," Five said, earning a cackle from Evelyn.

"Don't make me put you in time out!" Klaus said, pointing his finger at Five threateningly.

*

Vanya walked down the staircase, coming to a stop when she saw Allison on the phone near the stairs.

"No, Patrick, please," Allison said. She eventually trailed off and Vanya took it as a sign that he had hung up.

"I've never met your husband but he sounds like an asshole," Vanya said, walking over to Allison.

"That's one word for it." Allison's voice was full with a quiet rage that she seemed to have suppressed for a long time. Her nostrils were flared.

"You're probably better off here," Vanya tried.

"I'm probably better off with my daughter." Her voice was full of disbelief and shock. Vanya regretted it almost immediately.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"You don't know what it feels like. When you're apart... you can't breathe. You would die, and I mean actually die, to know she's safe."

Vanya looked down at her shoes in regret.

"You've never even been in a relationship."

"That's not fair."

"You've separated yourself from everyone and everything, you always have."

Vanya looked up. "Because he made me."

"Did he make you write that book about us too? You're an adult now, Vanya. You don't get to blame your problems on anyone but yourself." Allison walked up the staircase, away from her sister.

Vanya stood still in shock and pulled out a small bottle from her pocket. She took out a small white pill and swallowed. She'd been taking these for as long as she could remember for her nerves yet they never really seemed to work.