xii.

Vanya walked across the cold entrance hall, going to the front door.

"Miss Vanya," Pogo's voice echoed.

Vanya sighed. She thought she could have left without being disturbed. She turned around to face Pogo.

"Are you going?" he asked.

"Diego was right. I shouldn't've come here."

"Oh," Pogo paused. "Can I get you a cab?"

"Already called one. Thanks though." A honk pierced the somewhat quiet atmosphere of the house. "That's me," Vanya said.

*

Vanya arrived at her apartment building and unlocked her door. She stepped inside and turned on the light. Five and Evelyn were sitting on her armchair. Vanya jumped.

"Jesus!" she shouted.

"You really should lock your windows," Evelyn said.

"I live on the second floor."

"Rapists can climb," said Five.

"You two are so weird," Vanya said. She turned around and closed the door. She then walked over to Five and Evelyn, sitting on the sofa opposite the armchair where Five was sitting in and Evelyn was perched on the arm. Vanya looked at Five's collar; there was a splatter of blood on it from where he had killed the assassins earlier. Vanya left the room, getting supplies to clean Five up.

Evelyn moved off of the armchair and stood beside it so Vanya could properly treat Five. Vanya winced as she cleaned Five's arm.

"What are you doing in eight days?" Evelyn asked Vanya.

"Not much, I don't think," she responded, concentrated on Five's arm.

They sat in silence for a bit.

"We need to tell you something," Five said, disrupting the silence.

"Why me?" Vanya asked.

"Because you're ordinary."

Evelyn smacked the top of Five's head when she saw the disappointment and sorrow in Vanya's face. "Five!" she scalded.

"Because you'll listen," he said instead and glared at his blue-haired sister. "Do you know what I found in the future?"

Vanya shook her head.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The world as I knew it was destroyed. I never found out what ended the human race but I did find the date it happens."

"The world ends in eight days and we have no idea how to stop it," Evelyn took over.

Vanya sat in silence for a moment, absorbing the information. "I'll put on a pot of coffee," she eventually said.