xviii.

Eudora sat at her desk, working her way through paperwork. Beeman walked up to her, smiling.

"Figured out the case yet?" she asked.

"To quote a very wise woman, these idiots all shot each other."

A smile tugged at the edges of Eudora's lips. "Anything else?"

"You know one got stabbed with a butter knife?"

"Yeah, another one stabbed him."

"Well, the fingerprints don't match any of our guys. But they do match a cold-killer case, get this, circa 1963."

"That can't be right. Tell them to run it again." She ushered him away when a police officer dumped Diego into the chair beside her desk.

"Thanks Velázquez," Diego called after the officer.

"Listen here, Diego. If I catch you at another crime scene, I'll charge you with obstruction of justice."

"Come on. Why don't you lay down all of this and come with me on the streets for a change? None of this bullshit."

"This bullshit is what convicts felons in a court of law. I would love to play cops and robbers with you and get a kick out of it but guess what? Recess is over. Welcome to the real world. You would actually know that if you hadn't gotten yourself kicked out of the police academy."

"Jesus, Eudora," he said, his voice high-pitched.

Diego stood up and went to say something but Eudora put a hand in front of her face, saying she didn't want to talk. Diego walked out of the station, trying to put what had just happened behind him.