xxiii.

Vanya sighed as she looked at her violin. She had been playing since she was thirteen and yet she hadn't gone anywhere far. To her, she could play almost flawlessly but to others, to professionals, it was a whole different story. She picked up her violin and bow. She hardly put the bow to strings when there came a brisk and urgent knock on the door. Vanya put her violin and bow onto the armchair and opened the door.

"Vanya," Evelyn said, her voice full of relief. "Thank God you're home."

Vanya's eyes went to Evelyn's torso which was wrapped tightly in a black leather jacket. That was weird. Evelyn never fastened her jackets. "Come in," Vanya said, standing beside the door so the space was wider.

Evelyn stumbled into the small apartment before falling onto the floor. She gave a cry of pain and managed to sit up, leaning on the sofa.

"Are you okay?" Vanya asked, rushing over to her sister.

Evelyn didn't answer, instead opening her jacket. Below her crop top, above her belly button, her flesh was torn open. Blood spilled from it, leaking down onto the waistband of her jeans. Her hands shuffled over the wound, shaking.

"What happened?" she asked, worry embroidered into her voice.

"I wouldn't do what he said." Evelyn had tears of pain streaming down her face and her hand was now covered in blood.

"Do what who said?" She got no answer. "I'm taking you to the hospital."

"No. He'll find me there."

"Well, at least home."

"He knows I'll go there. He'll be waiting to finish me off."

"Who is this person?"

Evelyn ignored her question. "Look, I need you to patch me up. I don't know where else to go that he won't know."

"I don't- I don't have the supplies."

"I saw you patch Five up. Use those. Now, first things first. Do you have a needle and thread?"