ii.

A couple of days had passed. It was Reginald Hargreeves' funeral. Vanya sat slumped in the taxi as the rain continued to pour on the window. Perfect weather for today, she thought. Soon enough, the taxi dropped her off at her childhood home. It was a tall building which had an air of sophistication yet also discipline.

Vanya lowered her head and went inside. "Hey, Mom," she said to Grace, who was sitting as still as could be in the living room. "Mom?" Vanya repeated but still got no response.

"Vanya?" Allison asked. She had a blue top on with black trousers which hugged her curves gently. Allison's long, curly golden-brown hair was loose and vibrant, coming to a stop on her chest. Her caramel skin was smooth and Vanya immediately paled in her sister's presence.

"Hey, Allison," Vanya simply said. Allison walked over to Vanya and pulled her into a long hug which Allison had to stoop to. The pair were interrupted by Evelyn walking into the building, a tattered outfit on which was caked in dirt and a bit of blood. The girls didn't question it, however. Evelyn was forever getting into fights purely because she knew she'd win even without her powers. Her hair was now light blue, she changed the colours more often than she had siblings. Vanya recalled the first time Evelyn had dyed her hair: bright orange when she was thirteen. She was locked in a closet for a week.

"Oh, hey guys," Evelyn said once she saw the two of them together. "Here for Dad too?" she asked. Vanya and Allison nodded their heads in unison. Why else would they be back at this hellhole?

"You look rubbish," Allison told Evelyn.

"No-one asked your opinion, Posh Spice," Evelyn sniggered.

Their attention shifted when Diego walked into the room, pointing at Vanya before saying, "What's she doing here? You don't belong here, not after what you did." Diego was dressed in his black 'superhero' suit, which was really a black jumper, black trousers, a black leather holster with knives in and a black mask.

"He's right. I should probably go," Vanya started nervously.

"Ignore him," said Evelyn.

"Way to dress for the occasion by the way," Allison called after Diego as he walked up the stairs.

"At least I'm wearing black," he said, not turning around.

"I'm glad you're here," Allison told Vanya before walking off, glancing at Evelyn as she did.

Evelyn walked closer to Vanya. "Nice book. I particularly like how my superhero name reflects how you see me," she said.

"I didn't mean it like that," Vanya said, anxiety in her voice. She was quieter than usual.

"I know I can be a bitch sometimes so no hard feelings," Evelyn said, extending her hand for Vanya to shake. "See you later, V." Evelyn wandered off in the direction of the living room bar. Vanya figured she was going for booze so she left her to it.

*

Vanya looked up and down the vast floor-to-ceiling bookcase. There must have been thousands of books in the mahogany shelves. Vanya looked towards the living room bar. Surely enough, there was Evelyn. She picked up a crystal bottle with brown liquid in before taking out the decanter and smelling the substance. She then poured it into a large glass.

Vanya shifted her attention away from Evelyn. She had never understood the fascination with alcohol; she didn't like having a lack of control. Multiple therapists had told her that her control with alcohol made up for the lack of control she had as a child, that she still had now. Vanya chose to ignore them; it was easier that way. It was easier to ignore her problems than to face them.

Her fingers shifted over multiple books, stopping at her own book that she'd written. She felt a bit shocked that her father owned, perhaps, her only accomplishment. She picked it up out of the bookcase and examined the book, as if she was making sure it was real.

*

Luther looked around his father's room, checking the windows and investigating the room like he was a private detective.

"What you doin'?" a voice said from behind him. Luther jumped.

"Jesus, Diego," he said.

"You got big, Luther. What's your secret, protein shakes? Low carbs?" Diego asked, a hint of a joke in his voice.

Luther ignored him, continuing to check the room.

"Here," Diego said, handing Luther a file. "Dad's death report."

"How did you get this?"

"I broke into the coroner's office," he said, putting emphasis on the 'I'. Diego then crossed the room and sat in a worn armchair.

"And?" Luther asked as he looked at the photograph of his dead father.

"Surprise, surprise. Dad's death was... ordinary. A boring heart attack," Diego said.

"So?"

"So, why are you in here, checking all the windows?"

"Were you the first on the scene?" Luther asked, ignoring the previous question.

"Pogo found him."

"Yeah, about that. Pogo said he couldn't find Dad's monocle."

"And?"

"And, have you ever seen Dad without his monocle?"