15.

"So much that it brings out that naughty grin on your face?" Lauren asked, swiping her thumb across Camila's lips, and it was both sexy, but also sceptical. As if she didn't quite believe her.

But this time she was telling the truth. 

......

& Waffles provided Camila a perfect example of what life in California would be like with Lauren. The restaurant was small, but it wasn't massive either, it felt right. They walked in and sat towards the far end near the restrooms. Lauren had been here a few times; it was a popular joint to visit among her friend group, and expressed everything she loved about this neighbourhood. 

Camila had finished texting with her best friend, and Lauren was glad of that. She had nothing against cell phones, but the sight of one in a woman's hand while she was with them didn't sit well with her, and she had her ex, Keana, to thank for that. She kept her twitchy little fingers far too busy on the touch screen of her phone, then lied, lied and lied some more about what she'd been doing. She'd been involved in some bad shit, and had dragged Lauren deep down into her troubles, too. It had taken Lauren longer than she'd wanted to untangle herself from those tall tales Keana had spun, and the damage she'd done to her. Since then, she'd vowed to stay away from that kind of woman. 

Camila's phone was tucked away in her purse again, where it belonged. They'd placed their order and she was nibbling on appetizers. She plucked a chip from a small plate, bit it halfway, sexily, and then said "Do you realise I don't even know where you're from?"

"Do you want to know where I'm from?"

"Obviously. I want to get to know you better. Much better" Camila said.

"And I want you to get to know me much better. Where do you think I'm from?" she asked, taking a drink of her soda. 

"Chicago" 

She shook her head, "Try again"

"Ooh. Is this another game? You like games, don't you? First Mad Libs. Now I get to guess where you're from. What do I win if I'm right?"

Lauren leaned in close to her, swept her hair from her ear, and spoke in a low rumble, "You can pick the next position. But I know you wont win"

"So you're saying you're setting me up to fail so you can choose how to take me?"

"You think I'd choose badly? You think I'd pick a position you wouldn't like?"

Camila shook her head, "No" she said softly, and she seemed to let down her guard for a second or two, "I like everything you do"

Lauren couldn't resist her, especially not when she dropped the snark, though she loved that about her too. But when she revealed her vulnerable side, she found herself wanting to be even closer to the girl. 

"I like doing everything to you" she said, looking Camila in the eyes then brushing her thumb gently over her cheek before she kissed her softly, drawing out the sexiest little whimper from Camila's gorgeous lips.

She reached for Lauren's collar gently, holding on as she kissed back, and it was a kiss that held the promise of so much more. So much of their contact was hard and rough, and they both liked it that way, but this was tender and sweat, and Lauren wanted this side of her too. Judging from how Camila kissed her, she wanted it too. 

Soon, Camila broke the kiss, and brushed one hand against the other in a most business-like gesture, "Now that that's settled, let the games begin" she studied Lauren's face curiously, "Miami?" she shook her head before Lauren could answer, "No. You're not happy enough to be from Miami"

"I'm very happy" Lauren said defensively.

"Sure, but Miami people smile all the time. There's this thing called heat that makes us all dopey and cheerful"

"Then how do we account for your sarcasm, Miss Miami? Plus, there is sunshine in California too" 

"I'm an outlier" she said, as the waiter brought them glasses of water.

"Water for both of you. And the kitchen is working on your orders. They should be out in five minutes"

"Thank you very much" Lauren said, then returned her attention to the beautiful woman by her side who wore no underwear. "I'm not from Miami"

"Arizona? No. Somehow I don't think they make them so kinky in Arizona"

Lauren couldn't help but smile. "You never know. Arizona could be a very kinky state. There could be entire colonies of kink in Phoenix"

"If there are colonies, perhaps we should go exploring. But no, you're not from Arizona, and you're not from Oregon or Washington either. You'd be crunchy, or have more of a penchant for plaid if either were the case"

"I enjoy your process of elimination" Lauren said, leaning back casually in the chair, crossing her arms. No one ever guessed where she was from, because it was the kind of place people weren't usually from.

Camila pressed her fingers to her lips, then pointed at Lauren. "And you're not from Boston because you don't have an accent, and that's also why you're not from the south. Or Texas, even though you feel very Texas" she said, placing her palm against Lauren's shirt, spreading her fingers across her chest, tapping lightly with her fingertips. Lauren was hard instantly at her touch. Damn this woman; everything she did was a direct line to her dick.

"So, is there a guess coming, Camila?"

She shrugged happily, held her hands out in an I give up  admission. "Salt Lake City" she said with a smirk, and Lauren laughed at her guess, so intentionally wrong.

"Vegas, baby"

Her features registered no reaction at first. She was simply silent. Then she laughed, maybe in disbelief, "No one is from Vegas. Vegas is where you go. Not where you come from"

"Born and raised there"

She held her hand as low to the ground as she could from where she sat, "Like, back when you were little?" 

Lauren nodded again, "All the way through high school too. Happy to show you my diploma if you need more verification. Lettered in the women's softball at Desert Hills High on the outskirts of town. Lived there till I moved east for college" 

"And how does one come to live in Vegas?"

"Generally speaking, one has parents from there"

"Clearly. And your parents? What do they do in Vegas?"

"My parents do exactly what you'd expect two people in Vegas to have done. They're retired now. Mum was a showgirl. Dad owns a small casino off the strip"

"Wow. That's just so . . . " she said, then let her voice trail off.

"So what?"

"Unusual. And surprising" she said.

"Why is it surprising?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chapter 15 everyone, I kinda ended this one on a cliff-hanger but like.. not massively